Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,652 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [ODROIDU2] how do i compile rtl8192cu kernel module against 3.0.51?

Tip us?

kuzkuz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] [ODROIDU2] how do i compile rtl8192cu kernel module against 3.0.51?

Hi all, i'm trying to push rtl8192cu.ko to an ODROID U2 running on CM10.2 (latest nightly) wich is based on kernel 3.0.52 in order to get my new wifi mini-dongle working.

i tried several already compiled modules pushing them in /system/lib/modules/ the module, set the right permissions then run: insmod /system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko

but it fails with:

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko' failed (Exec format error)

i then look at dmesg:

rtl8192cu: version magic '3.0.8+ SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 ' should be '3.0.51-g848f8be SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 p2v8 '

since i'm still a noob on this, any tip on how to compile this kernel module against the right kernel/arch would be very appreciated

Thanks in advice

WarSxNes
Old
(Last edited by WarSxNes; 3rd February 2014 at 02:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default same problem but now with wlan.ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzkuz View Post
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko' failed (Exec format error)
rtl8192cu: version magic '3.0.8+ SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 ' should be '3.0.51-g848f8be SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 p2v8 '
Hi dude, first let me say my english is bad, and I'm NOOB

Well, I'm looking a solution for the same problem. In my searching I learn some thing about those errors but I'm not sure I'm still a noob and my english is bad so bad

If I'm not wrong, at that picture above you can see the chip that we (you and me) need fix.

I wasted hours to tried to fix that chip without success. But then at freaktab.com I found a tread that talks about that chip.

My tablet is:
5linx velocity Ver. 2 (US) but also named at china as Youzen Q8. (yeap I gues the original manufacturer is from china)
Android 4.1.1
kernel 3.0.8+
API LVL 16
CPU: rk3066 but not sure if is called armeabi-v7a or ARMv7
WiFi chip: Realtek 903 or if we follow DMESG is called RTL8188cu

------ So what I'm trying to say with that info ----

1. failed (Exec format error) <<< I guess is when you don't have all the permissions, or is bad copied, or bad compiled. (remember I'm still a noob).
2. version magic -------- ' should be ------ <<< I guess, is when you tried run a module that is not compiled for that version of cpu or kernel.

I have the same problem when I tried copy and run a different module ko that I downloaded or copied from other tablet.

Well, 5linx (US) does not support its customers, but the Chinese manufacturer Szuzone (youzen) does.

So, at freaktab.com I found that maybe the developers made a mistake. Someone there said, try to do this:

rename
8192cu.ko to rkwifi.ko
then run the module using insmod rkwifi.ko

ok, I tried that, but now I get another error with wlan.ko module.

wlan: Unknown symbol rockchip_wifi_init_module (err 0)

-- Some guys on freaktab.com say that process worked for them but not for me.
-- But now I noted that wlan.ko is detected when I use lsmod or dmesg. (remember, I executed rkwifi.ko)

So, what that means?

That process worked for me too? and now wlan.ko is bad?

----- Well anyway, dude try to do that, maybe work for you.

-- Another thing, at realtek website can be found the source code of that chip under (unix,linux) and is for Android 1.6~2.3 and 4.0~4.2 but I have no idea how to compile that driver, I just know I need android sdk or something like that.

-- If someone know how to compile the driver I guess would be better us, right?

I guess the things we need to check before copy and run a module is:
Module was compiled for the same OS version.
same Kernel version
same CPU
and same Wi-Fi chip.

If someone find something to me please feel free to tell me.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarSxNes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kuzkuz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarSxNes View Post
Hi dude, first let me say my english is bad, and I'm NOOB

Well, I'm looking a solution for the same problem. In my searching I learn some thing about those errors but I'm not sure I'm still a noob and my english is bad so bad

If I'm not wrong, at that picture above you can see the chip that we (you and me) need fix.

I wasted hours to tried to fix that chip without success. But then at freaktab.com I found a tread that talks about that chip.

My tablet is:
5linx velocity Ver. 2 (US) but also named at china as Youzen Q8. (yeap I gues the original manufacturer is from china)
Android 4.1.1
kernel 3.0.8+
API LVL 16
CPU: rk3066 but not sure if is called armeabi-v7a or ARMv7
WiFi chip: Realtek 903 or if we follow DMESG is called RTL8188cu

------ So what I'm trying to say with that info ----

1. failed (Exec format error) <<< I guess is when you don't have all the permissions, or is bad copied, or bad compiled. (remember I'm still a noob).
2. version magic -------- ' should be ------ <<< I guess, is when you tried run a module that is not compiled for that version of cpu or kernel.

I have the same problem when I tried copy and run a different module ko that I downloaded or copied from other tablet.

Well, 5linx (US) does not support its customers, but the Chinese manufacturer Szuzone (youzen) does.

So, at freaktab.com I found that maybe the developers made a mistake. Someone there said, try to do this:

rename
8192cu.ko to rkwifi.ko
then run the module using insmod rkwifi.ko

ok, I tried that, but now I get another error with wlan.ko module.

wlan: Unknown symbol rockchip_wifi_init_module (err 0)

-- Some guys on freaktab.com say that process worked for them but not for me.
-- But now I noted that wlan.ko is detected when I use lsmod or dmesg. (remember, I executed rkwifi.ko)

So, what that means?

That process worked for me too? and now wlan.ko is bad?

----- Well anyway, dude try to do that, maybe work for you.

-- Another thing, at realtek website can be found the source code of that chip under (unix,linux) and is for Android 1.6~2.3 and 4.0~4.2 but I have no idea how to compile that driver, I just know I need android sdk or something like that.

-- If someone know how to compile the driver I guess would be better us, right?

I guess the things we need to check before copy and run a module is:
Module was compiled for the same OS version.
same Kernel version
same CPU
and same Wi-Fi chip.

If someone find something to me please feel free to tell me.
Hi, thanks for the response. I actually know that i did it wrong since i need to compile the drivers for the right kernel version. The problem is that i have no idea on how to compile only the kernel module mentioned instead of all the kernel (wich actually goes beyond my knowledge)
Tags
compile, kernel, module, odroid, wifi