Ask a question

No registration required

Tmobile Signal Acuracy

OP JoshuaFCB

6th February 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

382 posts
are the signal bars actually accurately reflect the signals strength? reason why i am asking is because i literally get 0 bars at home, yet data works and i can still surf the web and watch videos.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th February 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #2  
Flag Ft. Worth
Thanks Meter: 436

3,741 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaFCB

are the signal bars actually accurately reflect the signals strength? reason why i am asking is because i literally get 0 bars at home, yet data works and i can still surf the web and watch videos.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

those bars are not indication of strength (not all the time)

this is a very iffy conversation some will say yes some will say no. me personally when i have 1 or 0 bars i have a bad connection with data/voice. when i have max bars there is no issue whatsoever. but you need to look at the dBm meter that is more accurate. and just self observation of itself it may vary in the place you are too. in my house with 1 bar on LTE I get 20Mb/s Down 5Mb/s Up. And at work I have 3 Bars and only reach 10Mb/s Down and 2MB/s Up. however my voice coverage wherever I been has been spot on.
6th February 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 96

460 posts
I have one bar at home, just did the speed test: 16Mb down, 6Mb up. If you dial *#0011# you'll see your RSRP exactly (reference signal receiving power), mine shows about -105.
If calibration was done properly it should be something like this:
0 bar - 0- 20%
1 bar 20-40
2 bar 40-60
3 bar 60-80
4 bar 80-100%
So even at 0 bars you could have OK reception.
But there is more to it, you can have strong signal, but also strong interference and a lot of other users could jam up otherwise strong connection.
To be honest I'd much rather have zero bars and still connecting, than phone lying to me that I have good signal and not able to connect.
6th February 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #4  
Flag Spring Hill, FL
Thanks Meter: 64

783 posts
More
I have one bar at home also, which is about -110db for me. Speed test shows 5 down and 2.4 up then went into network communications issues.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread