XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tmobile Signal Acuracy

Tip us?

JoshuaFCB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default Tmobile Signal Acuracy

are the signal bars actually accurately reflect the signals strength? reason why i am asking is because i literally get 0 bars at home, yet data works and i can still surf the web and watch videos.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

XxLostSoulxX
Old
Thanks Meter 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaFCB View Post
are the signal bars actually accurately reflect the signals strength? reason why i am asking is because i literally get 0 bars at home, yet data works and i can still surf the web and watch videos.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
those bars are not indication of strength (not all the time)

this is a very iffy conversation some will say yes some will say no. me personally when i have 1 or 0 bars i have a bad connection with data/voice. when i have max bars there is no issue whatsoever. but you need to look at the dBm meter that is more accurate. and just self observation of itself it may vary in the place you are too. in my house with 1 bar on LTE I get 20Mb/s Down 5Mb/s Up. And at work I have 3 Bars and only reach 10Mb/s Down and 2MB/s Up. however my voice coverage wherever I been has been spot on.
RIP Tori Dean Crawford 2/26/93 - 06/04/12 Great Friend Who Will Forever Be Missed

Samsung Epic 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 7.2 @ 1.8 GHz
Cyanogen Mod 10 @ 1.0 GHz
Samsung Nexus S 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 10 ~ Matr1x @ 1.0GHz
AOKP MS 6 ~ Air @ 1.47GHz
Samsung Galaxy N2:
Stock @ 1.9GHz
LG Nexus 4:
Stock @ 1.83GHz
Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
Stock @ 3.0GHz

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I have one bar at home, just did the speed test: 16Mb down, 6Mb up. If you dial *#0011# you'll see your RSRP exactly (reference signal receiving power), mine shows about -105.
If calibration was done properly it should be something like this:
0 bar - 0- 20%
1 bar 20-40
2 bar 40-60
3 bar 60-80
4 bar 80-100%
So even at 0 bars you could have OK reception.
But there is more to it, you can have strong signal, but also strong interference and a lot of other users could jam up otherwise strong connection.
To be honest I'd much rather have zero bars and still connecting, than phone lying to me that I have good signal and not able to connect.

Limeybastard
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I have one bar at home also, which is about -110db for me. Speed test shows 5 down and 2.4 up then went into network communications issues.