[Android Studio] Alcatel OneTouch Fierce is connecting to ADB but not showing logcat.

OP CodeMonkeyAlx

1st February 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Pottstown
Thanks Meter: 2

24 posts
More
I have access to all the common developer amenities on the device such as:
  1. USB Debugging Enabled
  2. Phone show up when I use the adb devices command
  3. Phone shows up in launcher selection
  4. Phone allows DDMS screen shots.
  5. Over all its connected and mostly working.

I am also using android studio as my main environment.
I don't know what that has to do with anything or the price of tea in china. o.O
3rd February 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #2  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 11

74 posts
I have a Alcatel from MetroPCS, two models...

logcat on both is showing empty. They must be blocking it somehow. I have a few Kyocera, Samsung and other phones and am pretty sure I know how to use logcat

I've seen a few other references on the Internet where developers are scratching their heads. My conclusion is that these devices block logcat!
The Following User Says Thank You to RoundSparrow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Pottstown

24 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundSparrow

I have a Alcatel from MetroPCS, two models...

logcat on both is showing empty. They must be blocking it somehow. I have a few Kyocera, Samsung and other phones and am pretty sure I know how to use logcat

I've seen a few other references on the Internet where developers are scratching their heads. My conclusion is that these devices block logcat!

Damn... that sucks...
Either way I love my phone but as of this point in time I am strapped so I cant just go get a new phone.
Any workarounds? - I mean I have my 2012 Nexus 7 and all but what I am working on right now is very phone based.
5th February 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #4  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 11

74 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkeyAlx

Damn... that sucks...
Either way I love my phone but as of this point in time I am strapped so I cant just go get a new phone.
Any workarounds? - I mean I have my 2012 Nexus 7 and all but what I am working on right now is very phone based.

if the device is rooted, there might be workarounds - such as some of the logcat viewers on Google Play, but I'm not rooting mine for now.

with adb shell, the log files can be read from the shell...

$ cat /dev/log/system

does in fact show content.

If it's your own code, just wrap your android log calls. Good idea anyway.... I use a small Java class that allows me to log to disk.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoundSparrow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Pottstown

24 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundSparrow

If it's your own code, just wrap your android log calls. Good idea anyway.... I use a small Java class that allows me to log to disk.

Thanks for the heads up - I tried that command line you were talking about using adb shell. Confirmed ouput, maybe if I am lucky I can find a way to pipe it into windows or something.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread