Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone still linger here?

Tip us?
 
xbmoyx
Old
#1  
xbmoyx's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 570
Posts: 2,219
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default Anyone still linger here?

Hey I am planning on buying an HTC Evo just for fun/secondary phone off eBay. I am currently using a Note 3 but my first phone (and love) was the Evo which also introduced me to the rooting world. Anyone with this phone still around mind talking to me and giving me a quick run thru of which direction/ROM I should try out first? Either we can talk on here or thru PM I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
 
mvmacd
Old
(Last edited by mvmacd; 6th February 2014 at 11:43 PM.)
#2  
mvmacd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 842
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmoyx View Post
Hey I am planning on buying an HTC Evo just for fun/secondary phone off eBay. I am currently using a Note 3 but my first phone (and love) was the Evo which also introduced me to the rooting world. Anyone with this phone still around mind talking to me and giving me a quick run thru of which direction/ROM I should try out first? Either we can talk on here or thru PM I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
EDIT: wrong thread!......... sorry! I will leave the post, but you should disregard it since I thought this was the Evo 4G LTE forum! my apologies.

Well I assume you know about S-ON and S-OFF, but just in case, the bottom line: you cannot flash the kernel [boot.img] from a custom recovery unless you are s-off. So unless you want to S-OFF [which I never bothered to do, being on my 2nd HTC device (the first being the Rezound)] you have to extract the boot.img from the ROM zip, then flash that in Fastboot [ $ fastboot flash boot boot.img ].

I myself just got the Jewel like 1-2 weeks ago, but from what I understand you must use Philz CWM recovery [ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2597865 ] to flash new ROMs because it has SELinux enabled [older recoveries will crash or error out].

For ROMs, I've only tried 1 so far and it is actually pretty great: CM11 nightlies: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2597865

gl
Current devices | Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 (2013),

Previous devices | HTC Evo 4G LTE, Nexus 10, HTC Rezound, Nexus 7, Samsung Fascinate
__________
check out FreeMyApps on your Android or iOS to earn gift cards by downloading other apps free!
The Following User Says Thank You to mvmacd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xbmoyx
Old
#3  
xbmoyx's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 570
Posts: 2,219
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmacd View Post
Well I assume you know about S-ON and S-OFF, but just in case, the bottom line: you cannot flash the kernel [boot.img] from a custom recovery unless you are s-off. So unless you want to S-OFF [which I never bothered to do, being on my 2nd HTC device (the first being the Rezound)] you have to extract the boot.img from the ROM zip, then flash that in Fastboot [ $ fastboot flash boot boot.img ].

I myself just got the Jewel like 1-2 weeks ago, but from what I understand you must use Philz CWM recovery [ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2597865 ] to flash new ROMs because it has SELinux enabled [older recoveries will crash or error out].

For ROMs, I've only tried 1 so far and it is actually pretty great: CM11 nightlies: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2597865

gl
Cool thanks for replying I was getting worried this place is a ghost town haha. I just bought the Evo off eBay today so I should be messing with it next week. Ah the old S-Off issue, I never cared either with my other HTC devices either. I'll look into the link you provided and report back if I have any problems. I'm not sure what Hboot the phone is on or even if its already rooted (with a used phone this old ya never know). Thanks for replying once again.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
 
mvmacd
Old
#4  
mvmacd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 842
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmoyx View Post
Cool thanks for replying I was getting worried this place is a ghost town haha. I just bought the Evo off eBay today so I should be messing with it next week. Ah the old S-Off issue, I never cared either with my other HTC devices either. I'll look into the link you provided and report back if I have any problems. I'm not sure what Hboot the phone is on or even if its already rooted (with a used phone this old ya never know). Thanks for replying once again.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
YIKES... sorry!

I thought this was the 4G LTE thread! man, I'm sorry.. those links are no good for the 4G..

darn it, I should use a bookmark instead of searching I guess.

sorry again!
Current devices | Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 (2013),

Previous devices | HTC Evo 4G LTE, Nexus 10, HTC Rezound, Nexus 7, Samsung Fascinate
__________
check out FreeMyApps on your Android or iOS to earn gift cards by downloading other apps free!
 
xbmoyx
Old
#5  
xbmoyx's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 570
Posts: 2,219
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmacd View Post
YIKES... sorry!

I thought this was the 4G LTE thread! man, I'm sorry.. those links are no good for the 4G..

darn it, I should use a bookmark instead of searching I guess.

sorry again!
Haha no problem yeah just adding LTE behind a current phone does make things confusing. No worries.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes