Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] firewater

Tip us?
 
DanPFW
Old
(Last edited by DanPFW; 1st February 2014 at 03:50 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] firewater

I'm ready to try a ROM, before the OTA finds it's way on my phone. I'm looking for the best way to unlock this device. I thought I'd give this new tool a try, however, it doesn't appear to work on the HTC Incredible 4G LTE (fireball). The temp-root method seems to work, but not the S-OFF.

Using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64. HTC Driver 4.10.0.0001 and Android SDK 1.16

HBOOT-1.15.0000
RADIO-1.53.06.0919
OpenDSP-v29.1.0.45.0622
Current software: 2.17.605.2 701RD

Here were my results:

C:\Android>adb reboot

C:\Android>adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
2331 KB/s (4347896 bytes in 1.821s)

C:\Android>adb push temproot /data/local/tmp
2678 KB/s (68576 bytes in 0.025s)

C:\Android>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/temproot
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/temproot
shell@android:/ $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/temproot
/data/local/tmp/temproot


run_root_shell, thanks fi01 - "can't post external links"

tools/android_r
un_root_shell

[*] Root acquired.[*] Thanks, HTC, for leaving this exploit open for such a ridiculously

long time
!
shell@android:/ # /data/local/tmp/firewater
/data/local/tmp/firewater



==================== firewater S-OFF 0.2.0

==============================

firewater S-OFF comes with NO WARRANTY (express or implied)
and NO GUARANTEE OF FITNESS for any particular task.
We have made every effort we can to make this a safe process for

users
however the authors disclaim any liability for damage to your

phone
or other materials or devices used during this process.

The entire risk of running firewater S-OFF lies with you, the

user.
By using this software you acknowledge and accept that the authors
are not liable for any loss, material or otherwise howsoever

caused.

firewater S-OFF may not be rehosted, repackaged, one-clicked, etc.
support is available @ #firewater on the freenode and andirc

networks
support is much faster there vs.posting helpme threads on xda etc

Do not operate a motor vehicle after interacting with firewater
Do not inhale firewater or allow firewater to come in contact with

eyes
firewater is best served at extremely cold temperatures
firewater has been known to cause temporary lapses in judgement
DO NOT TAUNT FIREWATER, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

================================================== ====================

===



Do you understand the implications of these warnings?

(Yes/No)
Yes
Yes
shell@android:/ #
 
SpyderPride
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 27
Join Date: Jul 2012
FWIW, I wouldn't be messing around with a new S-OFF method that hasn't been tested or verified to work for our device by someone who knows what they are doing. It isn't really a surprise that it doesn't work. Try one of the known working methods if you want to get it done.
 
spectre559
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 73
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
The Facepalm method worked great for me.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2214653
 
tj13
Old
(Last edited by tj13; 6th February 2014 at 05:05 PM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 290
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPFW View Post
I'm ready to try a ROM, before the OTA finds it's way on my phone. I'm looking for the best way to unlock this device. I thought I'd give this new tool a try, however, it doesn't appear to work on the HTC Incredible 4G LTE (fireball). The temp-root method seems to work, but not the S-OFF.

Using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64. HTC Driver 4.10.0.0001 and Android SDK 1.16

HBOOT-1.15.0000
RADIO-1.53.06.0919
OpenDSP-v29.1.0.45.0622
Current software: 2.17.605.2 701RD

Here were my results:

C:\Android>adb reboot

C:\Android>adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
2331 KB/s (4347896 bytes in 1.821s)

C:\Android>adb push temproot /data/local/tmp
2678 KB/s (68576 bytes in 0.025s)

C:\Android>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/temproot
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/temproot
shell@android:/ $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/temproot
/data/local/tmp/temproot


run_root_shell, thanks fi01 - "can't post external links"

tools/android_r
un_root_shell

[*] Root acquired.[*] Thanks, HTC, for leaving this exploit open for such a ridiculously

long time
!
shell@android:/ # /data/local/tmp/firewater
/data/local/tmp/firewater



==================== firewater S-OFF 0.2.0

==============================

firewater S-OFF comes with NO WARRANTY (express or implied)
and NO GUARANTEE OF FITNESS for any particular task.
We have made every effort we can to make this a safe process for

users
however the authors disclaim any liability for damage to your

phone
or other materials or devices used during this process.

The entire risk of running firewater S-OFF lies with you, the

user.
By using this software you acknowledge and accept that the authors
are not liable for any loss, material or otherwise howsoever

caused.

firewater S-OFF may not be rehosted, repackaged, one-clicked, etc.
support is available @ #firewater on the freenode and andirc

networks
support is much faster there vs.posting helpme threads on xda etc

Do not operate a motor vehicle after interacting with firewater
Do not inhale firewater or allow firewater to come in contact with

eyes
firewater is best served at extremely cold temperatures
firewater has been known to cause temporary lapses in judgement
DO NOT TAUNT FIREWATER, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

================================================== ====================

===



Do you understand the implications of these warnings?

(Yes/No)
Yes
Yes
shell@android:/ #

It looks like temproot may have failed. Although it is contusing, because it state success. One of the requirements was a working internet connection. The error "can't post external links" kind of implies it couldn't talk to a site. Any chance that was your problem. I would like to know if this works too. My wife's phone has the latest OTA and can't be rooted by any of the past methods.
 
DanPFW
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj13 View Post
It looks like temproot may have failed. Although it is contusing, because it state success. One of the requirements was a working internet connection. The error "can't post external links" kind of implies it couldn't talk to a site. Any chance that was your problem. I would like to know if this works too. My wife's phone has the latest OTA and can't be rooted by any of the past methods.
I replaced a valid link with "can't post external links" when I posted this info, because XDA wouldn't let me post a link.
 
tj13
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 290
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPFW View Post
I replaced a valid link with "can't post external links" when I posted this info, because XDA wouldn't let me post a link.
I gave it a try on my wife's phone. The temp root part works great. nothing happens for me on the firewater part. I guess we have to wait until someone figures it out, if that ever happens.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Use Facebook Pictures as a LWP with Facebook View

One of the best things that Android has always offeredits users is the ability to tailor … more

Share Your Thoughts Anonymously with A Minimalist Social Network

Nowadays, almost everyone has a second life onthe Internet. Among the best … more

Enable Heads Up Notifications For The Sprint Galaxy S3

Heads up notifications, in case you didn’t already know, are an experimental … more

Android One Goes Live in India!

Android One is a Google initiative set to bring an AOSP-like experience tosome emergingmarkets like India, … more