Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,112 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Burned by Root/Custom ROMS - do I try again or quit...

Tip us?

somewhatdog
Old
(Last edited by somewhatdog; 6th February 2014 at 06:55 PM.) Reason: Claridee
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Burned by Root/Custom ROMS - do I try again or quit...

The last Android device I rooted/rom'd was a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - went well for a few weeks but one day it got stuck on the 'Green Android' screen at startup and that was that.

On that basis I've been reluctant to root/rom other devices since - but my S3 (Orange UK) drives me nuts with all it's bundled crapware so I gave-in and rooted it (latest CF-Auto-Root) and then used Mobile Odin Pro to install the latest SlimROM

That worked OK for a day - then it reset itself and would only boot into recovery (by default) or download (if forced)

I've reinstalled stock firmware from desktop Odin and it seems fine - question is am I

a - unlucky
b - just not very good at this stuff

and would I be better off

a - trying again with a different setup
b - just leaving it as-is
Tasty (Free!) Android Snacks http://www.somewhatdog.com

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdog View Post
The last Android device I rooted/rom'd was a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - went well for a few weeks but one day it got stuck on the 'Green Android' screen at startup and that was that.

On that basis I've been reluctant to root/rom other devices since - but my S3 (Orange UK) drives me nuts with all it's bundled crapware so I gave-in and rooted it (latest CF-Auto-Root) and then used Mobile Odin Pro to install the latest SlimROM

That worked OK for a day - then it reset itself and would only boot into recovery (by default) or download (if forced)

I've reinstalled stock firmware from desktop Odin and it seems fine - question is am I

a - unlucky
b - just not very good at this stuff

and would I be better off

a - trying again with a different setup
b - just leaving it as-is
its a strange story, i just think your unlucky i have never had rooted a phone only for it to boot into recovery Only. if you really want to try again go for it. maybe third times a charm?
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat (4.4.2) XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113
Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.2) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations on amazon?
Chromecast
Stock
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)

somewhatdog
Old
(Last edited by somewhatdog; 7th February 2014 at 12:19 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul View Post
its a strange story, i just think your unlucky i have never had rooted a phone only for it to boot into recovery Only. if you really want to try again go for it. maybe third times a charm?
Well I did that and this time it froze partway through installing (Mobile Odin) so I guess I'm more than unlucky and perhaps this phone (an i9300 - standard international model) is on the fritz?

I might switch back to the older approach using a custom recovery and see if that works any better - I've not bricked it yet!

Update: I switched to good-old CWM and installed Cyanogen 10.2 - I know, it's a boring choice but the main benefit at this point is that it seems to have worked at least - 'stock' Android over Touchwiz? We'll see how I get along with that then. ;0
Tasty (Free!) Android Snacks http://www.somewhatdog.com

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdog View Post
Well I did that and this time it froze partway through installing (Mobile Odin) so I guess I'm more than unlucky and perhaps this phone (an i9300 - standard international model) is on the fritz?

I might switch back to the older approach using a custom recovery and see if that works any better - I've not bricked it yet!

Update: I switched to good-old CWM and installed Cyanogen 10.2 - I know, it's a boring choice but the main benefit at this point is that it seems to have worked at least - 'stock' Android over Touchwiz? We'll see how I get along with that then. ;0
Haha stock android is not boring, its the best looking, I can't stand all the other ui's sense motoblur and all the nonsense. Touchwiz was the only good looking ui thought I can be pretty laggy
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat (4.4.2) XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113
Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.2) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations on amazon?
Chromecast
Stock
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)