Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Burned by Root/Custom ROMS - do I try again or quit...

OP somewhatdog

6th February 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
The last Android device I rooted/rom'd was a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - went well for a few weeks but one day it got stuck on the 'Green Android' screen at startup and that was that.

On that basis I've been reluctant to root/rom other devices since - but my S3 (Orange UK) drives me nuts with all it's bundled crapware so I gave-in and rooted it (latest CF-Auto-Root) and then used Mobile Odin Pro to install the latest SlimROM

That worked OK for a day - then it reset itself and would only boot into recovery (by default) or download (if forced)

I've reinstalled stock firmware from desktop Odin and it seems fine - question is am I

a - unlucky
b - just not very good at this stuff

and would I be better off

a - trying again with a different setup
b - just leaving it as-is
Last edited by somewhatdog; 6th February 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Claridee
6th February 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdog

The last Android device I rooted/rom'd was a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - went well for a few weeks but one day it got stuck on the 'Green Android' screen at startup and that was that.

On that basis I've been reluctant to root/rom other devices since - but my S3 (Orange UK) drives me nuts with all it's bundled crapware so I gave-in and rooted it (latest CF-Auto-Root) and then used Mobile Odin Pro to install the latest SlimROM

That worked OK for a day - then it reset itself and would only boot into recovery (by default) or download (if forced)

I've reinstalled stock firmware from desktop Odin and it seems fine - question is am I

a - unlucky
b - just not very good at this stuff

and would I be better off

a - trying again with a different setup
b - just leaving it as-is

its a strange story, i just think your unlucky i have never had rooted a phone only for it to boot into recovery Only. if you really want to try again go for it. maybe third times a charm?
6th February 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

its a strange story, i just think your unlucky i have never had rooted a phone only for it to boot into recovery Only. if you really want to try again go for it. maybe third times a charm?

Well I did that and this time it froze partway through installing (Mobile Odin) so I guess I'm more than unlucky and perhaps this phone (an i9300 - standard international model) is on the fritz?

I might switch back to the older approach using a custom recovery and see if that works any better - I've not bricked it yet!

Update: I switched to good-old CWM and installed Cyanogen 10.2 - I know, it's a boring choice but the main benefit at this point is that it seems to have worked at least - 'stock' Android over Touchwiz? We'll see how I get along with that then. ;0
Last edited by somewhatdog; 7th February 2014 at 01:19 AM.
7th February 2014, 04:49 AM   |  #4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdog

Well I did that and this time it froze partway through installing (Mobile Odin) so I guess I'm more than unlucky and perhaps this phone (an i9300 - standard international model) is on the fritz?

I might switch back to the older approach using a custom recovery and see if that works any better - I've not bricked it yet!

Update: I switched to good-old CWM and installed Cyanogen 10.2 - I know, it's a boring choice but the main benefit at this point is that it seems to have worked at least - 'stock' Android over Touchwiz? We'll see how I get along with that then. ;0

Haha stock android is not boring, its the best looking, I can't stand all the other ui's sense motoblur and all the nonsense. Touchwiz was the only good looking ui thought I can be pretty laggy
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes