Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 42,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Modify Stock firmware through CWM backup mods

Tip us?

jakabadambalazs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Modify Stock firmware through CWM backup mods

Hi, I have a GT-S7500 (wife's phone) with stock firmware and CWM. For some reason as soon as I root it, tried many different methods, camera and camcorder (and sometimes wireless) stop working. The thing is i don't really want to root this phone - but I really need to remove bloat Samsung and Italian TIM apps from it because the phone is unusable. (This means: freshly pushed stock firmware has 10-15 useless system processes and services running resulting in 70-80% of RAM usage)

So, I need to remove bloatware without rooting the phone. This is my starting point(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post23343879)

I'd like to take the "system.ext4.tar" from my CWM backup, extract, manually remove unwanted apk and odex files from it repack and push it back to the phone. Sounds fun!

Q1: "system.ext4.tar" is a normal .tar file, right? so when I'm finished i just use tar (i'm on *nix)

Q2: The above guide does not say but what is the best way to "push" the system partition back to the phone? My idea was to substitute the "system.ext4.tar" with its modded version right in the CWM backup folder (calculate and change md5 checksum in nandroid.md5) and then execute a restore from CWM. You think that would work? Is there another way to do this(ODIN)?

thanks
a\

jakabadambalazs
Old
(Last edited by jakabadambalazs; 7th February 2014 at 08:15 AM.) Reason: added link to dsixda's AK
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Android Kitchen

Ok, I found Android Kitchen(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246) and it resolved all my questions and doubts. You can take apart any rom (stock or custom) modify and repack it for CWM install. Thanx xda!