Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,289 Members 36,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just found an Arc LT15i. Should I keep it?

Tip us?

bamtan2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just found an Arc LT15i. Should I keep it?

TLDR:
1) Sell or keep? Buy something else with the money?
2) Is there a stable ROM, good for a new user, which updates over time, and unlocks SIM?

So I found an Xperia Arc, new in box from years ago, that I got for cheap but never needed. Now I'm wondering: should I sell it and keep the money?

Or should I flash something on it and give it to the old man (who could play with his first android phone)? Or maybe I should do both: Sell the new in box phone and buy something else with the money.

What say you, XDA?

PS: Does the stable ROM you suggest have the ability to update itself, so the novice owner I give it to can keep it up to date? Will the ROM unlock the carrier SIM lock?

Someguyfromhell
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,997

DONATE TO ME
Personally, I would recommend getting something newer and better. Single-core phones and 512 MB RAM are really outdated. Development is active, however ROMs based on Jelly Bean and beyond have some non-functioning features and may be unstable at certain moments.

SIM lock can not be removed with the change of ROM. Depending on the manufacturing date, it can be done via paid method (produced before 12W11) or not at all (past 12W11).
The Following User Says Thank You to Someguyfromhell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GethPrime
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,173

DONATE TO ME
1. You should keep it as Xperia Arc isn't worth much at all.
2. You can't flash kernels and such if you don't remove the simlock first. I suggest you to buy a simunlock + bootloader unlock at wotanserver.

Sent from my Xperia C using Tapatalk
My devices:
  • Xperia X8 ➜ CM7 ➜ nAa kernel
  • Xperia Ray ➜ CM10.1 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Xperia U ➜ CM10.1 ➜ Unknown kernel
  • Xperia Arc S ➜ CM10.2 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Nexus 7 ➜ AOKP ➜ M-Kernel
  • Xperia C ➜ Stock ➜ Stock kernel
  • Xperia Z1 Compact ➜ Stock ➜ Stock Kernel
Socialize with me:
Add me on Facebook.
Subscribe to my youtube channel.
If you like my work please consider donating.

Abhinav2
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 4,504
I won't recommend you to keep it either. It's a 2011 phone and if you sell it you could get something better with greater support. Even ARC is having great ROMs but they won't function that good on a half a gb RAM phone + Since sony ericsson broke a long time ago and you have a simlock therefore you won't even get a good official suport. So your best bet would be to sell it and buy something with greater support

Cheers,
AJ