5,601,223 Members 53,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to cast to Chromecast from iPhone, Laptop

Tip us?
 
raovb
Old
(Last edited by raovb; 7th February 2014 at 07:23 AM.) Reason: Addtional information on laptop
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] Unable to cast to Chromecast from iPhone, Laptop

Hi All,

I am having two problems in casting to Chromecast:

1) Unable to cast from Pandora (iPhone 5, Nexus 7 & laptop) to Chromecast - note that I am in Japan. I do have a US DNS (unblockus) and Songza works just fine from iPhone & laptop. But no luck for Pandora. I have Windows 7 Pro installed with Core i5.

2) Unable to cast any tab from my laptop to Chromecast. I am using HP Elitebook. I already added google chrome in firewall exceptions.

3) When I try to cast tabs from my other laptop (older model HP G42), it casts everything fine, even streams videos without a hitch.

I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Thanks a ton!
 
raovb
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Boot laptop in safe mode

I tried starting up my laptop in safe mode and I was able to cast webpages and Pandora. Clearly, some background service is blocking the cast feature. I have already tried disabling firewall and windows security, still no luck. Anybody else having this problem? Any advise on the best way to check which service is blocking casting? Turning on/off every service would take very long! Plus, maybe there are more than one services that are blocking this feature, hopefully there is a better way...

And still no luck with Pandora on iPhone...
 
raovb
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Some more digging into the system

I digged into the system some more and here is what I found:

The cast feature was still not working even after disabling non-microsoft services. So microsoft services might be blocking the feature. Here are the microsoft services currently running. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me understand which service might potentially cause a conflict:

MSFT online services sign-in assistant
Windows audio endpoint builder
Windows audio
Base filtering engine
Background intelligent transfer service
Computer browser
Cryptographic services
Offline files
DHCP client
DNS client
Diagnostic policy service
Extensible authentication protocol
Windows event log
COM+ event system
Function discovery provider host
Function discovery resolution publication
Windows font cache service
Group policy client
HomeGroup provider
IKE & AuthIP IPsec keying modules
IP helper
CNG key isolation
Server
Workstation
TCP/IP NetBios helper
Multimedia class scheduler
Network connections
Network list service
Network location awareness
Network store interface service
Office software protection platform
Peer networking grouping
Program compatibility assistant service
Peer name resolution protocol
IPsec policy agent
Power
RPC endpoint mapper
Security accounts manager
Task scheduler
System event notification service
Shell hardware detection
Print spooler
SSDP discovery
Windows image aquisition
Themes
Distributed link tracking client
Desktop windoes manager session manager
Diagnostic service host
Diagnostic system host
WinHTTP web proxy auto-discovery service
Windows management instrumentation
WLAN autoconfig
Portable device enumerator service
Windows search
Windows driver foundation - user mode driver framework

Thanks much!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes