Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,373 Members 48,164 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Newbie questions?

Tip us?

JustKiddin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Newbie questions?

I ordered a new Nexus 7 and I'm ye to receive it and had a couple of questions about it.

1- Should I upgrade to 4.4? I heard there are some problems with it, is that so?

2- I've never had a device with a non-removable battery so I'm a bit confused here. What would I do if ran into a bootloop or something like that?

Thanks.

datallboy
Old
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
4.4 didn't change a whole lot visually, but it runs fun I think. Good battery life.

If you ever got caught in a bootloop it be cause of a software problem, with flash something. Make sure before you do any serious mods that you make a nandroid backup in recovery, so you don't lose your data in case you need to factory restore it. Anyways, most mods come with a revert zip your can flash. Also just make sure you flash correct Roms and kernels for your device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Current Devices

XDA Banner

Retired Devices

Nook Tablet 8GB

Email: datallboy@gmail.com

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 7th February 2014 at 01:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKiddin View Post
I ordered a new Nexus 7 and I'm ye to receive it and had a couple of questions about it.

1- Should I upgrade to 4.4? I heard there are some problems with it, is that so?

2- I've never had a device with a non-removable battery so I'm a bit confused here. What would I do if ran into a bootloop or something like that?

Thanks.
1. The only problem I can think of specifically would be losing the ability to play flash in the AOSP browser or any browser for that matter but that has been pretty much worked out. Dolphin and Firefox I believe play flash, I know Dolphin does. Other than that can't think of any problems. There is a noticeable performance increase from updating so I would do it.

2. Long pressing the power button will get it to reboot. Then as soon as the screen shuts off, before the screen comes back on, press and hold the volume down button to get to the bootloader screen (android laying down if using stock recovery), then volume up and power at the same time to get to stock recovery if that is what you have. There you can do a factory reset, power off I think, wipe cache. It's been a while since I've seen stock recovery but I think that's right.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!