Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,361 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Very initial impressions.

Tip us?

ronald_loulan
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by warfareonly View Post
Welcome to the Z Ultra forms, @Ryland Johnson !
I remember you from the Z forum (was contemplating buying the Z)..
The Z Ultra is indeed big, but just use it for a month or so, every other phone will seem tiny then

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk
Agreed...
Especially compare it with ip4/4s...
ZU makes them looks like a lil boys phone...

Ryland Johnson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdogg View Post
You can get a cable that connects through the mag -dock. Don't need the actual dock.

Thank you all for the kind information.

Hamdogg, may I ask you a little more about this cable you mention? Any links or other information would again be appreciated.

many thanks,
Ryland

Ryland Johnson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_loulan View Post
Agreed...
Especially compare it with ip4/4s...
ZU makes them looks like a lil boys phone...
I was considering the Apple iPhone 5S. I know I know, going over to the 'dark side' The points that prevented me where price, its double the cost of the Ultra, not able to use any sort of expandable memory, not water resistant plus possibly the OS and UI? I wanted to try the newer Apple to see if I liked it any more than I did my first Apple. I have to write that the Apple is a quality product with quality back up. The packaging alone always pleases me when I purchase something Apple. I am just not an Apple OS fan.

Sony are getting there again. I think, I don't know, that some large companies like Sony sat on their laurels for too long and just depended on customer loyalty. Not possible to do that for many years. Pleased to see that Sony are moving in the right direction BUT still have a tad way to go.
A classic example of this is the SBH52. I purchased this with the Ultra. No instructions nor wall charger in the box? Even the packaging is rather cheap and cheerful. Apple just don't do that. Even the boxes Apple products come in is quality cardboard !! This is not a joke, all aspects of marketing need to be spot on to improve or even hold onto ones market place.
Remember HTC? Hardly see a single sale in this country today yet only 5 years ago it was nearly all HTC.

Apple have made a science out of how they sell and their market research is second to non plus their customer satisfaction and relations are superb. Of course there will always be the exception to any rule.

I like what Sony are doing. As I wrote above I think in some areas they have a way to go, they appear to be a getting there though. IF Sony can maintain this trend I think Sony will again start to show profits and the devices they produce will again reach the heights they did in the past.
Now Pioneer have ceased making TV's Sony and Panasonic make some top quality sets. Samsung and LG outsell them all BUT for how long?
Samsung is starting to slip with things like region lock on their phones. I for one will not purchase another Samsung until they drop this absurd behaviour.

I had to factory reset my Ultra last night after spending 12 hours setting it up just as I wanted it. The screen froze and no matter what I did it would not unfreeze. After turning the device on and off several times I was able to get into the settings and reset to factory settings. For around 30 minutes I thought it was going to have to be returned! The programme that caused the problem was 'talk back'.

One point that has concerned me is after a complete factory reset I noticed today that the files I had downloaded from my PC into the memory of the Ultra where STILL THERE! This is bad news as had I returned the Ultra those files would have been open to access. I was under the illusion that a factory reset would reset the phone back to a virgin state. This is not at all the case?

Very early days though and some teething problems can some times occur.

Ryland

Ryland Johnson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by warfareonly View Post
Welcome to the Z Ultra forms, @Ryland Johnson !
I remember you from the Z forum (was contemplating buying the Z)..
The Z Ultra is indeed big, but just use it for a month or so, every other phone will seem tiny then

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk
Hi. What an experience that was! No matter how hard I tried to explain the difference between water proof and water resistant some fellow posters just could not accept that their poor Xperia Z's where unsuitable for deep sea diving. The way Sony market the Xperia Z was, in my opinion, very poor. In the manual Sony made it clear with large diagrams that the Z could not be used in sea water nor swimming pool water YET their own advert had the Z being used in a bloomin swimming pool!

I gave up on that subject and just laughed at some of the things people did with their poor phones. Did you see the clips of them being cooked in chocolate and soup etc....Phone had more artificial intelligence than some owners had brains. I am still totally baffled as to why one would take any phone into a shower? How does one wash? To what aim would one need a phone while in the shower? Never mind.

Ryland
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland Johnson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hamdogg
Old
Thanks Meter 1,011

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson View Post
Thank you all for the kind information.

Hamdogg, may I ask you a little more about this cable you mention? Any links or other information would again be appreciated.

many thanks,
Ryland
http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charg.../dp/B00FF9P1T6

Ryland Johnson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdogg View Post

I didn't know such a cable existed! Thanks so much for the heads up. I have just placed my order with Amazon.

Many thanks,

Ryland

ps000000
Old
Thanks Meter 65
I came from many phones

last 2 are S4 LTE , Note 3 LTE

Note 3 LTE has better camera and better screen brightness & whiteness
including some interactive sensors

However is need ZU big screen !!!

next ..... may be Note 8.4 Pro (if it has) / Tab 8.4 Pro / Note 10.1 2014
(use with bluetooth headset)
Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) P601 3G & Google Nexus 5 D821 LTE

My history
Android - Galaxy S2 (i9100T) , Dell Streak 5 , Tab 7 Plus (P6200L) , Galaxy Nexus (Maguro), Note 2 (N7100) , Galaxy S4 (i9505), Galaxy Mega 6.3 (i9205) , Galaxy Note3 (N9005) , Xperia Z Ultra (C6833)
iOS - iPhone 4 - 16GB , iPhone 4S - 16GB , iPhone 5 - 16GB , iPad 3 - WiFi - 16GB
Windows Phone - Lumia 920

My PC - i5-2500K + Asus HD7970TOP + water cooling
My Lap - Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 - i7 2760QM + HD 6770M

Ryland Johnson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Well folks after 4 days ownership and use I am so far a very happy bunny. Providing I understand I have purchased a phablet and not a tablet nor a mobile phone but the best of both worlds I am content. The SBH52 makes a very good companion device. We have long very hot summers here so where I am going to keep the table while walking about in shorts and T-shirt, I have no idea though? I do like a challenge.

Ryland