Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,535 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Unlocking bootloader without typing IMEI on sony website

Tip us?
 
olokos
Old
#1  
olokos's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1084
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Warsaw

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Q]Unlocking bootloader without typing IMEI on sony website

Hi,

I've seen that it's possible to unlock One X bootloader without having to type in the IMEI at the HTC website. Is there something like this for sony devices? Z1 precisely.
I know that we can unlock our bootloader and then relock it with the backup, but still our IMEI gets sent to SONY so we still lose the warranty. Does any of you know a way how to get the unlock code without IMEI being sent to sony?

I'm not sure whether it's ok to post it here, but it's actually cross-device question.
 
[NUT]
Old
#2  
[NUT]'s Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5725
Posts: 4,023
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cyberspace and the Universe

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by olokos View Post
Hi,

I've seen that it's possible to unlock One X bootloader without having to type in the IMEI at the HTC website. Is there something like this for sony devices? Z1 precisely.
I know that we can unlock our bootloader and then relock it with the backup, but still our IMEI gets sent to SONY so we still lose the warranty. Does any of you know a way how to get the unlock code without IMEI being sent to sony?

I'm not sure whether it's ok to post it here, but it's actually cross-device question.
No, there is no way.

If you look at the terms and conditions closely you will also notice requesting the code itself does not void your warranty. Using it will, in some countries.

It all boils down to the countries consumer laws of the device owner really...

In The Netherlands we have a very strict law, if something is clearly a manufacturing issue or design flaw, bootloader locked or unlocked, Sony is obliged to replace or repair the device free of charge.



My work for the community on XDA ~ My file hosting ~ Please do not mirror my files!
Xperia Arc (LT15i), Xperia P (LT22i), Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia L (C2105), Xperia Z (C6603), Xperia Tablet Z (SGP321), Xperia Z1 (C6903), Xperia Z2 (D6503)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
olokos
Old
#3  
olokos's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1084
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Warsaw

 
DONATE TO ME
Well, you tick the box that it may void your warranty and that you'll pay for any repair so doesn't that mean that you lose warranty straight after you type the imei?

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
My work on xda and things I'm proud of:

If you want me to reply then please quote my post or mention me by writing @olokos. This way you can be sure I'll reply.
Away on 2 weeks holidays where I barely get to use the internet there. Will be back past 02.08.2014
 
[NUT]
Old
#4  
[NUT]'s Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5725
Posts: 4,023
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cyberspace and the Universe

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by olokos View Post
Well, you tick the box that it may void your warranty and that you'll pay for any repair so doesn't that mean that you lose warranty straight after you type the imei?

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Exactly my point



My work for the community on XDA ~ My file hosting ~ Please do not mirror my files!
Xperia Arc (LT15i), Xperia P (LT22i), Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia L (C2105), Xperia Z (C6603), Xperia Tablet Z (SGP321), Xperia Z1 (C6903), Xperia Z2 (D6503)
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
olokos
Old
#5  
olokos's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1084
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Warsaw

 
DONATE TO ME
Well, could anyone that relocked his bootloader say what happened after you sent it for warranty repair?

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
My work on xda and things I'm proud of:

If you want me to reply then please quote my post or mention me by writing @olokos. This way you can be sure I'll reply.
Away on 2 weeks holidays where I barely get to use the internet there. Will be back past 02.08.2014
 
[NUT]
Old
#6  
[NUT]'s Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5725
Posts: 4,023
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cyberspace and the Universe

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by olokos View Post
Well, could anyone that relocked his bootloader say what happened after you sent it for warranty repair?

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
To be honest, I CBA to search for you, but check my Z1/ZU/Z/ZL DISASTER RECOVERY thread, some people have done that.

There are loads of people who had a loose back plate on the Xperia Z (caused by overheating in a specific ROM version) and after relocking the bootloader their devices where repaired within warranty, no questions asked.

My guess is that the IMEI is required to generate the device specific unlock code and that Sony is not keeping them stored in some database. If they do, the service centers clearly do not check that database



My work for the community on XDA ~ My file hosting ~ Please do not mirror my files!
Xperia Arc (LT15i), Xperia P (LT22i), Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia L (C2105), Xperia Z (C6603), Xperia Tablet Z (SGP321), Xperia Z1 (C6903), Xperia Z2 (D6503)
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
olokos
Old
#7  
olokos's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1084
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Warsaw

 
DONATE TO ME
Thank you very much. After I get my back glass and flap replaced I'll unlock my bootloader. Thanks for making it clear
 
KWOKSFUNG
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 43
Posts: 429
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NUT] View Post
No, there is no way.

If you look at the terms and conditions closely you will also notice requesting the code itself does not void your warranty. Using it will, in some countries.

It all boils down to the countries consumer laws of the device owner really...

In The Netherlands we have a very strict law, if something is clearly a manufacturing issue or design flaw, bootloader locked or unlocked, Sony is obliged to replace or repair the device free of charge.
Time to move to netherlands XD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes