6th February 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 1,727

2,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi,

I've seen that it's possible to unlock One X bootloader without having to type in the IMEI at the HTC website. Is there something like this for sony devices? Z1 precisely.
I know that we can unlock our bootloader and then relock it with the backup, but still our IMEI gets sent to SONY so we still lose the warranty. Does any of you know a way how to get the unlock code without IMEI being sent to sony?

I'm not sure whether it's ok to post it here, but it's actually cross-device question.
6th February 2014, 10:45 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Cyberspace and the Universe
Thanks Meter: 6,214

4,149 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olokos

Hi,

I've seen that it's possible to unlock One X bootloader without having to type in the IMEI at the HTC website. Is there something like this for sony devices? Z1 precisely.
I know that we can unlock our bootloader and then relock it with the backup, but still our IMEI gets sent to SONY so we still lose the warranty. Does any of you know a way how to get the unlock code without IMEI being sent to sony?

I'm not sure whether it's ok to post it here, but it's actually cross-device question.

No, there is no way.

If you look at the terms and conditions closely you will also notice requesting the code itself does not void your warranty. Using it will, in some countries.

It all boils down to the countries consumer laws of the device owner really...

In The Netherlands we have a very strict law, if something is clearly a manufacturing issue or design flaw, bootloader locked or unlocked, Sony is obliged to replace or repair the device free of charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2014, 11:52 AM   |  #3  
Flag Warsaw

2,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, you tick the box that it may void your warranty and that you'll pay for any repair so doesn't that mean that you lose warranty straight after you type the imei?

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
6th February 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor

4,149 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, you tick the box that it may void your warranty and that you'll pay for any repair so doesn't that mean that you lose warranty straight after you type the imei?

Exactly my point
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2014, 01:44 PM   |  #5  
Flag Warsaw

2,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, could anyone that relocked his bootloader say what happened after you sent it for warranty repair?

6th February 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

4,149 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, could anyone that relocked his bootloader say what happened after you sent it for warranty repair?

To be honest, I CBA to search for you, but check my Z1/ZU/Z/ZL DISASTER RECOVERY thread, some people have done that.

There are loads of people who had a loose back plate on the Xperia Z (caused by overheating in a specific ROM version) and after relocking the bootloader their devices where repaired within warranty, no questions asked.

My guess is that the IMEI is required to generate the device specific unlock code and that Sony is not keeping them stored in some database. If they do, the service centers clearly do not check that database
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #7  
Flag Warsaw

2,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thank you very much. After I get my back glass and flap replaced I'll unlock my bootloader. Thanks for making it clear
7th February 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #8  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 72

684 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NUT]

No, there is no way.

If you look at the terms and conditions closely you will also notice requesting the code itself does not void your warranty. Using it will, in some countries.

It all boils down to the countries consumer laws of the device owner really...

In The Netherlands we have a very strict law, if something is clearly a manufacturing issue or design flaw, bootloader locked or unlocked, Sony is obliged to replace or repair the device free of charge.

Time to move to netherlands XD

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread