Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New purchase and future development

Tip us?

daevoq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question New purchase and future development

Hi guys,
Id like to buy the Moto G to replace my Galaxy S I9000. I know pretty well the phones specs but before buying it I need to satisfy a doubt about. Since I had my first Android phone (HTC G1) Ive changed a ROM a week , so its very important for me to have a phone that could have a long-term support from this community. I know that Nexus 5 (or the unavailable 4 ) could be the right choice for this purpose but I need to save some money and Moto G is cheaper than these ones.
So my question is if, in your opinion, Moto G will receive some Android future versions (Why not Android 5? ) and if It will be unofficially (Cyanogen, Aokp, Paranoid,etc..) or officially supported (since Lenovo bought Motorola, so without official Google support) . I know its an hard question but Im scared by Lenovo acquirement and I wont have a paperweight-phone in one year.
Does developers have all the tools (kernel source and all the things they need) to make future updates works on this device right now? Id like to have a your prevision(also technical) about it .Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my English but Im Italian.
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S i9000
ROM: GamerzROM Legend Edition

Galaxy Tab 7 P1000 (GSM EU)
ROM: [ROM][CM10][JB][4.1.2][SGT7][P1000/N/L][PDroid]
-----------
Other Devices: HTC "Leo" HD2
HTC G1/Dream
Iphone 3G 16Gb
Iphone 3Gs 16Gb
Viewsonic Gtab

theoneofgod
Old
Thanks Meter 140
If your'e worried about something so trivial, just stick with the S, no worries.
Current Devices:
Moto G 16GB
Huawei Y300 (Black)
Alcatel OT-983 (Black) [Dead]
Nokia 2630
Xperia Play R800i (Black) [Dead]
Nexus 7 (16GB) [Returned]
The Following User Says Thank You to theoneofgod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OrionBG
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by daevoq View Post
Hi guys,
Id like to buy the Moto G to replace my Galaxy S I9000. I know pretty well the phones specs but before buying it I need to satisfy a doubt about. Since I had my first Android phone (HTC G1) Ive changed a ROM a week , so its very important for me to have a phone that could have a long-term support from this community. I know that Nexus 5 (or the unavailable 4 ) could be the right choice for this purpose but I need to save some money and Moto G is cheaper than these ones.
So my question is if, in your opinion, Moto G will receive some Android future versions (Why not Android 5? ) and if It will be unofficially (Cyanogen, Aokp, Paranoid,etc..) or officially supported (since Lenovo bought Motorola, so without official Google support) . I know its an hard question but Im scared by Lenovo acquirement and I wont have a paperweight-phone in one year.
Does developers have all the tools (kernel source and all the things they need) to make future updates works on this device right now? Id like to have a your prevision(also technical) about it .Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my English but Im Italian.
If you ask me, 4.4.2 will be the last official major update for this phone. Hope I'm not right but time will tell. There are already some custom ROMs around and I'm sure that there will be more in the future...
Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB
History: Nokia 5110, Ericsson R320, Xda IIs, HTC Universal, Nokia E90, HTC HD, HTC Magic, HTC HD2, HTC Desire HD, SonyEricsson Xperia X10, HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrionBG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daevoq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
If your'e worried about something so trivial, just stick with the S, no worries.
I don't want to be polemical at all..i think are tastes..i like to "play" with my devices so for me is not so trivial have futur roms and updates from community.. since i have to spend my money i want torneo spend it in a good way!

By the way thanks for answers! i'd like recieve also technical information!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9000 utilizzando Tapatalk

-----------
HTC G1/Dream
Iphone 3G 16Gb
Iphone 3Gs 16Gb
Viewsonic Gtab

daevoq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I don't want to be polemical at all..i think are tastes..i like to "play" with my devices so for me is not so trivial have future roms and updates from community.. since i have to spend my money i want to spend it in a good way!

-----------
HTC G1/Dream
Iphone 3G 16Gb
Iphone 3Gs 16Gb
Viewsonic Gtab

daevoq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Sorry tapatalk's double post!-_-

-----------
HTC G1/Dream
Iphone 3G 16Gb
Iphone 3Gs 16Gb
Viewsonic Gtab

nickchk
Old
Thanks Meter 129
a success of an android device future development lies in number of users. the more number of user,the greater chance it will have excellent support from community of xda.
like ur i9100 (big number of user),s2 or even galaxy ace can have 4.4.2 because of the large community.
moto g launch in so many countries(usa,china,india,asia,europe),it could be one of biggest number of android user ,added with open-source of qualcomm and GPE of moto g,it will definitely can past 4.4.2 kitkat.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickchk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theoneofgod
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
I don't want to be polemical at all..i think are tastes..i like to "play" with my devices so for me is not so trivial have futur roms and updates from community.. since i have to spend my money i want torneo spend it in a good way!

I like to "play" too but that's the point, it doesn't get official 4.5 and we get a custom 4.5, and we "play" with it. It's the same with the S yes?
Current Devices:
Moto G 16GB
Huawei Y300 (Black)
Alcatel OT-983 (Black) [Dead]
Nokia 2630
Xperia Play R800i (Black) [Dead]
Nexus 7 (16GB) [Returned]
The Following User Says Thank You to theoneofgod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24092

DONATE TO ME
1) The bootloader unlock policy is MUCH better with the GPe variant. Get it if you can.
2) This is a fairly vanilla Qualcomm-based device, which is great for AOSP-derived firmwares thanks to Qualcomm's reference source at CodeAurora (CAF). Biggest issue so far has been that it's one of the first MSM8226-based devices out there, so there has been a bit of a learning curve so far for everyone working on the device.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daevoq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
I like to "play" too but that's the point, it doesn't get official 4.5 and we get a custom 4.5, and we "play" with it. It's the same with the S yes?
i don't care official update.. i'd like to recieve custom next version! yes.. it's the same with I9000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
1) The bootloader unlock policy is MUCH better with the GPe variant. Get it if you can.
2) This is a fairly vanilla Qualcomm-based device, which is great for AOSP-derived firmwares thanks to Qualcomm's reference source at CodeAurora (CAF). Biggest issue so far has been that it's one of the first MSM8226-based devices out there, so there has been a bit of a learning curve so far for everyone working on the device.
i can't get GPe variant since is too difficult to get it in italy.. great informations about cpu base.. that is what i need to know!
if I'm not mistaken we have kernel source right?

By the way bought it a few hours ago! really great device for that price! Thanks a lot for all of your answers.. ill' post some little question later about processors and stuff!

-----------
HTC G1/Dream
Iphone 3G 16Gb
Iphone 3Gs 16Gb
Viewsonic Gtab