[Q] USB tether Nexus 7 to Galaxy S3

Tip us?

ajhuff
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] USB tether Nexus 7 to Galaxy S3

Hi,

I know I am a NOOB but I have searched and searched and searched and can't find any clear info. Perhaps I just don't know the correct terms.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) rooted that I want to tether to my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 phone so that I can access the internet on the tablet. I stupidly did the Android 4.3 OTA upgrade on my phone and now I can't use PDANet+ as a WiFi hot spot. Since I have an unlimited data plan on my phone I would like to be able to connect through it, that is why I did not buy the LTE Nexus 7. The phone is not rooted but i can do that if needed. I have a micro to micro USB OTG cable from Hak5 to connect them, phone as host.

Can anyone point me in the direction to do this? I would have thought with the popularity of the Nexus tablet more people would be trying to do this.

Thanks,

-AJ

kyrotech
Old
Thanks Meter 10
You can always setup your own Wi-Fi hot spot within 4.3
Goto settings then tethering and portable hot spot
Activate and set your password

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

ronedogg
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
Hi,

I know I am a NOOB but I have searched and searched and searched and can't find any clear info. Perhaps I just don't know the correct terms.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) rooted that I want to tether to my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 phone so that I can access the internet on the tablet. I stupidly did the Android 4.3 OTA upgrade on my phone and now I can't use PDANet+ as a WiFi hot spot. Since I have an unlimited data plan on my phone I would like to be able to connect through it, that is why I did not buy the LTE Nexus 7. The phone is not rooted but i can do that if needed. I have a micro to micro USB OTG cable from Hak5 to connect them, phone as host.

Can anyone point me in the direction to do this? I would have thought with the popularity of the Nexus tablet more people would be trying to do this.

Thanks,

-AJ
I also searched for exactly what you are speaking of. N7 to s3 via otg.

Maybe someone can help.

My s3 when I try to use any other otg the phone just hard reboots lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

ajhuff
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrotech View Post
You can always setup your own Wi-Fi hot spot within 4.3
Goto settings then tethering and portable hot spot
Activate and set your password

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Ahhh, see I have AT&T's grandfathered unlimited data plan which doesn't support hot spot or tethering. I could call to turn it on but then I would lose my unlimited plan. The work around was PDANet+ until the 4.3 update. In searching it seems that even with rooting PDANet+ doesn't work but I'm not sure. So I was thinking tethering instead of connecting by WiFi. Heck, there have to be other reasons to want to be able to connect via USB like file transfer?

-AJ