Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any ideas on the ETA of the next OTA?

Tip us?

Morkai Almandragon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Default Any ideas on the ETA of the next OTA?

I had thought it was supposed to be in January and I am still not even seeing rumors for it, has anyone heard anything?

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 793
If you are a rooter, Mandatory mode for SELinux (Android 4.4) is only likely to make your life more difficult.

So I would say - be careful what you wish for.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

Morkai Almandragon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
If you are a rooter, Mandatory mode for SELinux (Android 4.4) is only likely to make your life more difficult.

So I would say - be careful what you wish for.
Is it already confirmed in the release? Or just a rumor? Also would that block root? or just recovery and roms?

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkai Almandragon View Post
Is it already confirmed in the release? Or just a rumor? Also would that block root? or just recovery and roms?
It isn't a rumor - SELinux has been present in Android since 4.2, but operating in "permissive" mode (which basically blocks no violations, but logs the violations which occur). This was done to give an opportunity to app/framework developers to modify their apps so that they will not fault once SELinux changes over to enforcing in KitKat (4.4). This has been in the Google road map for a long time.

Of course, it can be turned back to permissive mode in a full custom ROM, so my comment applies to stock or near-stock situations. In particular, the initial rooting operations may get more technically difficult to acheive.

(With SELinux enforcing mode, a root user identity obtained by an exploit can have very limited capabilities, depending on the process context of the attack vector)

For instance if you were to accept an OTA on lightly-rooted stock, and then lose root during an OTA upgrade, it might be quite difficult to re-attain root.

Recovery and ROMs are already quite limited (for retail VZW N3 devices) because of the trusted boot enforcement.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."