XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Reboots every evening after getting 4.2.2 update

Tip us?

PhysicalEd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Reboots every evening after getting 4.2.2 update

OK, this is really weird - after getting the 4.2.2 update, my phone reboots itself every night, not 100% sure it's exactly the same time, but it's been while sitting in my pocket or on the table, not even in use. At first I assumed it was Zooper, which I had installed right after the update, but I disabled it yesterday and got the reboot again tonight.

I even checked my Tasker to make sure some auto-reboot profile hadn't installed itself!

Any hints about how to diagnose this? Do I have no choice but to remove apps one by one? Most of the apps I run are the same ones I run on my TF300 tablet which also has 4.2.2, so don't know if it could be an app.

PhysicalEd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Did it again tonight and it is the exact same time - 9:19pm It's also interesting is that this is about the time of day I did the update to 4.2.2 It's like some daily thing going on. It must be some new app applied by default by the update, I've disabled some of the obvious new apps.

Does anyone know if I do a factory reset will it go back to 4.1 (which worked fine for me), or will it stay at 4.1?

droids@m
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalEd View Post
Did it again tonight and it is the exact same time - 9:19pm It's also interesting is that this is about the time of day I did the update to 4.2.2 It's like some daily thing going on. It must be some new app applied by default by the update, I've disabled some of the obvious new apps.

Does anyone know if I do a factory reset will it go back to 4.1 (which worked fine for me), or will it stay at 4.1?
the Factory reset will erase all ur Apps and will stay in 4.2.2 ......
Hitting the THANKS can really Help me
The Following User Says Thank You to droids@m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PhysicalEd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Looks like this update has really screwed up my phone. After a couple of more nights of trying to disable more apps, and trying to catch the error with logcat (nothing that makes any sense in the log, no error or crashes preceding the reboot) I decided to factory reset.

It rebooted again tonight, about 24 hours after the factory reset.

Also, intermittently now the power button will not suspend the phone, though I can hold it and reboot, I don't know any other way to put it to sleep.

Looking at the log some more, the only thing that gives any hint is that there was Location Services activity before the crash. Googling around about my problem showed there was a bug in Location Services early in 4.2 but the claim was that it was fixed. I guess tomorrow night I'll try turning off Location Services as well.

Ranomez
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalEd View Post
Looks like this update has really screwed up my phone. After a couple of more nights of trying to disable more apps, and trying to catch the error with logcat (nothing that makes any sense in the log, no error or crashes preceding the reboot) I decided to factory reset.

It rebooted again tonight, about 24 hours after the factory reset.

Also, intermittently now the power button will not suspend the phone, though I can hold it and reboot, I don't know any other way to put it to sleep.

Looking at the log some more, the only thing that gives any hint is that there was Location Services activity before the crash. Googling around about my problem showed there was a bug in Location Services early in 4.2 but the claim was that it was fixed. I guess tomorrow night I'll try turning off Location Services as well.
The update may have screwed up somewhere in the middle, you could try to re-ruu your phone or unlock the bootloader and flash a custom rom, also the thing about the power button not putting the phone to sleep or doing anything than reboot on long press happened to me on each and every custom rom and I never did any OTA, got my phone, unlocked bootloader and flash away from sense, my hboot is still the one that it came with, but for me that thing happens really randomly, like once every 1 or 2 weeks, and when that happens for me the volume buttons stop working also till reboot, I was thinking I was the only one facing it so I kinda decided not to talk about that as I saw no one say anything about it, but I am also one of those for who the phone turns off exactly when my phone goes to 6% battery whatever I do, on whatever rom I am and even in the recovery, so I was thinking that maybe vodafone modified something on it, that's an other reason I didn't say anything about the buttons becoming unresponsive...

So what I would recommend is to re-ruu your phone or go to a custom rom (or if none solves anything the phone may have some kind of hard brick).
Register here on copy: https://copy.com?r=bhjtga and we will both get 5gb bonus space

List of devices:
HTC One X+ Vodafone-Main phone-ParanoidAndroid 4.4

Onda v975m-Main tablet device.

Sony Smartwatch 2-Display burnt itself, trying to sort it out with amazon/sony.

HTC Touch Pro 2 RHOD100_UK-Backup phone-CM7.

Archos101IT Gen8-Secondary tablet device-CM9.

PhysicalEd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just to help out anyone else who ever has this problem.

It was not location services.

I can see clearly in two logs an HTC process crashing. This seems to cause a cascade that leads to reboot.

I contacted HTC tech support, they suggested I boot up in a recovery mode and try to wipe data cache. They were surprised to find that attempting to do that caused a reboot.

So as Ranomez suggests above, they want me to re-do the update with the RUU when they release it, which they said would be "soon" last weekend.

On the other hand, my battery life after this update is fantastic, so I've decided I can live with this to not have to worry about recharging by mid-afternoon!
Tags
reboot daily 4.2.2