Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 46,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help! Can't unroot/unbrick Galaxy S3!

Tip us?
 
WildWildWest42
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default [Q] Need help! Can't unroot/unbrick Galaxy S3!

So let me start from the beginning;
I have Verizon's Galaxy S3 and had CyanogenMod 10.2 installed on it. After installing CM 10.2, I no longer had 4G/3G connection. After some research, I had discovered that it had to do with my device's APN. Anyways, what I found online was to unroot, and flash to a stock ROM, and wipe/reset factory settings, etc.

I started by flashing a stock ROM found on this site (don't remember the name) however, after rebooting, my phone had gotten stuck in the white Verizon logo loop. After pulling the battery, I tried flashing the image again in ODIN, but the same thing happened, I figured this is what was known as a "soft brick". I followed another guide on here to unroot/unbrick the phone, which had me download another stock rom (stock.vzw_root66), as well as VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5, and BOOTLOADER-I535VRALF2-618049-REV09-user-low-ship.tar-2-.md5. Following the instructions had me PDA flash the VRALEC-bootchain.tar.md5 first, followed by the bootloader, and finally the stock image. However, I continued to get "FAIL!" after attempting to flash the VRALEC-bootchain.tar.md5.

Following another guide, it said to just try flashing the stock.vzw_root66 file, which I had done, and it succeeded, however, after the phone reboots, it says that I am using unauthorized firmware on my device, and to bring my phone to the nearest Verizon store.

Now, I have no idea what to do.

I'm using ODIN3 v3.07

Both the VRLEC.bootchain.tar.md5 and BOOTLOADER-I535VRALF2-618049-REV09-user-low-ship.tar-2-.md5 fails when trying to flash them onto my phone, and I don't want to proceed from here unless I know how to fix it, as to not damage the phone any further. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The phone still boots into a stock recovery, and can still enter download mode. At this point, I just want my phone completely stock, as if I had just purchased it.
 
BattsNotIncld
Old
#2  
BattsNotIncld's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 330
Join Date: Oct 2011
You shouldn't be getting the "unauthorized firmware" warning after flashing root66, as that is a stock image. You could try to boot into stock recovery and perform a factory reset from there. I'm not even sure if that's possible I haven't used stock recovery in so long .

Besides that I don't know what would help you. Maybe try reflashing the root66 file or try a different stock image. Do you have a link to the exact root66 file you are using?
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III
Current ROM: SlimKat

Previous Phone: Samsung Droid Charge (sold)
 
BadUsername
Old
#3  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 682
Posts: 1,382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boot into download mode and post what it says on the top left corner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
WildWildWest42
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattsNotIncld View Post
You shouldn't be getting the "unauthorized firmware" warning after flashing root66, as that is a stock image. You could try to boot into stock recovery and perform a factory reset from there. I'm not even sure if that's possible I haven't used stock recovery in so long .

Besides that I don't know what would help you. Maybe try reflashing the root66 file or try a different stock image. Do you have a link to the exact root66 file you are using?
Sorry, I meant that it says unauthorized software, and it has the yellow triangle. I've tried reflashing the root66 file, which is the only thing that actually "PASS"'s in ODIN, whilst everything else consistently fails.

Since then, I've followed this tutorial (Specifically section 5)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1762709

And downloaded that "VRALG1 4.0 ICS-http://www.mediafire.com/download/kk...w_ship.tar.zip" file that was recommended, and after trying to flash it in the PDA box of ODIN (With auto-reboot and F. Reset Time checked), it FAIL's.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Boot into download mode and post what it says on the top left corner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
After looking at the screen with download mode still on, right after the above file failed in ODIN, it reads:

_______________________________
ODIN MODE
Product Name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: Yes (3 counts)
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable
Warranty Bit: 0
Bootloader AP SWREV: 1
SW Rev Check Fail : Fused 1 > Binary 0 **(This part I believe was added after the FAIL of trying to flash the VRALG1 4.0 ICS file.)
_______________________________

So far, the only file I've been able to successfully flash in ODIN is the stock.vzw_root66 file. Everything else constantly FAILs. Thanks for the ongoing help!
 
BattsNotIncld
Old
(Last edited by BattsNotIncld; 8th February 2014 at 01:33 AM.)
#5  
BattsNotIncld's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 330
Join Date: Oct 2011
I'm pretty sure those download mode stats you have are from the new bootloader. When you said this:
Quote:
I started by flashing a stock ROM found on this site (don't remember the name) however, after rebooting, my phone had gotten stuck in the white Verizon logo loop.
... I'm thinking you flashed a stock 4.3 ROM in ODIN and therefore locked your bootloader. This would also explain the yellow triangle when trying to flash root 66 afterwards. If I am correct, the good news is all you have to do is flash a stock 4.3 ROM to get back up and running. The bad news is you re-locked your bootloader and are stuck with TouchWiz.
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III
Current ROM: SlimKat

Previous Phone: Samsung Droid Charge (sold)
 
BadUsername
Old
#6  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 682
Posts: 1,382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest42 View Post
Sorry, I meant that it says unauthorized software, and it has the yellow triangle. I've tried reflashing the root66 file, which is the only thing that actually "PASS"'s in ODIN, whilst everything else consistently fails.

Since then, I've followed this tutorial (Specifically section 5)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1762709

And downloaded that "VRALG1 4.0 ICS-http://www.mediafire.com/download/kk...w_ship.tar.zip" file that was recommended, and after trying to flash it in the PDA box of ODIN (With auto-reboot and F. Reset Time checked), it FAIL's.





After looking at the screen with download mode still on, right after the above file failed in ODIN, it reads:

_______________________________
ODIN MODE
Product Name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: Yes (3 counts)
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable
Warranty Bit: 0
Bootloader AP SWREV: 1
SW Rev Check Fail : Fused 1 > Binary 0 **(This part I believe was added after the FAIL of trying to flash the VRALG1 4.0 ICS file.)
_______________________________

So far, the only file I've been able to successfully flash in ODIN is the stock.vzw_root66 file. Everything else constantly FAILs. Thanks for the ongoing help!
OK, you need to follow this guide, then your phone will be back to normal.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

Then read this entire thread to understand what you can do with the update.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
WildWildWest42
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
OK, you need to follow this guide, then your phone will be back to normal.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

Then read this entire thread to understand what you can do with the update.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
You're a life-saver! I just did this and my phone now works again! I couldn't thank you enough!

The Following User Says Thank You to WildWildWest42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes