Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,576 Members 38,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

After a months of Kitkat, are apps compatible?

Tip us?

raylgo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default After a months of Kitkat, are apps compatible?

I heard that Kitkat broke compatibility with most apps as it came out and that made me decide to hold off on updating. But most custom roms now are made for Kitkat and I'm stuck on 4.2.2. There is nothing wrong with my rom right now and everything runs like a dream still but I would like to know if it is worth updating now. Most of my games might not be compatible...

rebel1699
Old
Thanks Meter 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylgo View Post
I heard that Kitkat broke compatibility with most apps as it came out and that made me decide to hold off on updating. But most custom roms now are made for Kitkat and I'm stuck on 4.2.2. There is nothing wrong with my rom right now and everything runs like a dream still but I would like to know if it is worth updating now. Most of my games might not be compatible...
I have not encountered a single app that is not compatible. I think you mistook what was being said about compatibility. Its not that most apps would not be compatible with kit kat, but issues with some apps could arise if you chose to use art instead of dalvik as your runtime, which was introduced in kit kat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Devices

Galaxy S4 M919N Unlocked to AT&T w/ AOSP 4.4.4
Galaxy S4 i337 Safestrapped w/ MYBA 4.4.2
Nexus 7 32Gb Multirom w/ Android L
Nexus 7 16Gb Multirom w/ Stock 4.4.4 and Ubuntu Desktop
Acer Iconia A500 w/ Beanstalk 4.4.4
SkyRocket i727 Powered by LiquidSmooth 4.4.4
Blackberry Z10

"There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, its all dark"

RollingRoman
Old
Thanks Meter 7
99% of the apps are compatible with 4.4/4.4.x. There were problems with ART earlier, but most of them are fixed now. E.g. WhatsApp had issues with ART, but now it works like a charm.

All of your games should be compatible, I never had any troubles with games (MC4, Asphalt 8, Contract Killer 2, etc.) both on ART and Dalvik.