Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Password to decrypt device

Tip us?

dibblebill
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 644
Default Password to decrypt device

So I've been running a m7att (1.44 bootloader) with Android 4.4 OmniROM. I encrypted my device with a 4-digit PIN.

I tried to install a deodexed stock ROM in order to S-Off the device, but now, neither TWRP nor the stock ROM can decrypt the storage. I keep getting an "incorrect password" error no matter what.

Am I just totally eff'd? Do I lose all my data now? My nandroid is no longer accessible, neither are my app backups.
Lord of the Snarkô
ROM's:
Tempest [OmniROM] 4.4 (Manta) (m7att)

TopoX84
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblebill View Post
So I've been running a m7att (1.44 bootloader) with Android 4.4 OmniROM. I encrypted my device with a 4-digit PIN.

I tried to install a deodexed stock ROM in order to S-Off the device, but now, neither TWRP nor the stock ROM can decrypt the storage. I keep getting an "incorrect password" error no matter what.

Am I just totally eff'd? Do I lose all my data now? My nandroid is no longer accessible, neither are my app backups.
Best thing you can do is flash back to the previous ROM you were on. And try again. The problem is once you encrypt anything and if there is a slight change on the signature no matter what you try it will fail.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
DEVICE: HTC One M7 AT&T (Unlocked, Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-OFF)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 62.0 by Mike1986
MODS: Sense 5 Toolbox, Gravity Box [KK],
RECOVERY: TWRP v. 2.6.3.3

PREVIOUS DEVICES:
  • Galaxy S4 I337 AT&T unlocked
  • Nokia Lumia 920 Unlocked - Dev AT&T ROM

dibblebill
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopoX84 View Post
Best thing you can do is flash back to the previous ROM you were on. And try again. The problem is once you encrypt anything and if there is a slight change on the signature no matter what you try it will fail.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
No dice. Completely irretrievable. I wound up factory resetting and vowing that I'll just simply keep better off-device backups. Lost my 1yr+ of my car mileage data.
Lord of the Snarkô
ROM's:
Tempest [OmniROM] 4.4 (Manta) (m7att)