Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 47,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S4 shutter really slow?

Tip us?

an_xda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default S4 shutter really slow?

I noticed this phone has very horrible low-light performance (super blurry photos) with or without anti-shake enabled (I keep it off now). Night mode does help a LOT but I am wondering if anyone knows why this camera is so bad? Not trolling when I compare it to the iPhone 4, 5, HTC One X, and HTC One to the S4 that the former are so much better... Maybe Samsung phones just do not have the hardware to produce decent photos?

I do have minor shake in my hand but it was never an issue with any of the other phones I mentioned.

Anyone else experience the same issue (and yes, I have removed the plastic surrounding the lens)?

bennyboy78
Old
Thanks Meter 374
It's the 13 MP, and the phones tiny sensor. Not trolling but that little sensor has to do a lot of work. Also, the HTC one has a larger sensor

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bennyboy78 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Blue1k
Old
Thanks Meter 174
I shoot mainly in sports mode. Took this today of my never motionless daughter. In low light I just use my Sony NEX3N. The S4 struggles in lower light because of the slow shutter algorithm. Nexus 5 was much better at focusing but much noisier as the devise just ramped to a high iso. So it's a trade off. Samsung went for the lower noise option which increases shutter time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390805266774.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2541724  
Follow me on twitter @Blue1k ...thephonecollector
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue1k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

an_xda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Yeah I am no camera guru, it is a given the HTC One would perform better in low-light compared to the S4, cannot say I am surprised, I was just shocked at how bad performance really was. I don't have much chance to shoot during the day since well, I am working. We'll see how my summer shots come out, for now I guess I will keep it in night mode during the evenings.

Blue1k
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Night mode just boosts iso and runs a noise reduction algorithm. You are better off shooting in sports

The other thing that lowers shutter speed is enabling stabilization mode.

an_xda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thank you, I'll change it and see how photos turn out. Is there a way to default the shooting mode upon opening the camera app? It seems to default back to auto all the time.

Blue1k
Old
Thanks Meter 174
I'm running MDOB rom and it saves the camera settings

an_xda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Yeah, night mode or sports mode I have concluded this camera is horrible compared to even previous generation cameras... I should have known better when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus had a horrible camera that not much would change...