Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 36,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting my Metro PCS S3 (SGH-T999N)

Tip us?

RawesomeMike
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooting my Metro PCS S3 (SGH-T999N)

Is there any way too root this phone?

Sent from my SGH-T999N using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390795944197.jpg
Views:	6144
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2541508  

RawesomeMike
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
More info

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390825185263.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2542157  

polkcontracting
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Root SGH-T999N (metro PCS) to SGHT999NUVUBMK7 after 4.3 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawesomeMike View Post
More info

Yes, there seems to be a root method for the SGH-T999N that I may have discovered. I synced/backed up on Google sync, when I was running on 4.1.2.
I Unintentionally updated to 4.3 not realizing root would be more difficult. I DID NOT use odin, just cause of the bricking hype. I did do some stuff with sideload, I think.

When flashing I used a 16gig micro SD card & also copied some extracted zip rom files via windows, straight to the phone.
Kept getting the error (in red) when checking for signature or something.(Ex. e: whole-file signature failed <se3>).
In the phone OS, I manually cleared cache, data, notifications, turned off & forced stop on several of the "update" & other potentially restricting security apps on the phone.

Booted into recovery via power + home + volume ? keys.
Wiped cache
Wiped all data
"Upgraded ish" from external SD card.
Reset my phone & still got a signature fail.

Did the wipe & factory default again (after another reboot)
Flashed the same file again (I think) was CWM, Cyanogen or something. d2tmo, d2mtr seem to work.
Did a Factory reset & phone went to metro logo. Did a 2nd recovery reset before 1st one could finish & the phone seemed to go to an out-of-box state/first time setup. That's where I was able to enable superuser root, the box thing & backup?

Sorry I don't remember more detail at the moment. The Google Chrome backup seemed to help a lot for reinstalling rooted apps after 4.3 update w/ factory reset.

RawesomeMike
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkcontracting View Post
Yes, there seems to be a root method for the SGH-T999N that I may have discovered. I synced/backed up on Google sync, when I was running on 4.1.2.
I Unintentionally updated to 4.3 not realizing root would be more difficult. I DID NOT use odin, just cause of the bricking hype. I did do some stuff with sideload, I think.

When flashing I used a 16gig micro SD card & also copied some extracted zip rom files via windows, straight to the phone.
Kept getting the error (in red) when checking for signature or something.(Ex. e: whole-file signature failed <se3>).
In the phone OS, I manually cleared cache, data, notifications, turned off & forced stop on several of the "update" & other potentially restricting security apps on the phone.

Booted into recovery via power + home + volume ? keys.
Wiped cache
Wiped all data
"Upgraded ish" from external SD card.
Reset my phone & still got a signature fail.

Did the wipe & factory default again (after another reboot)
Flashed the same file again (I think) was CWM, Cyanogen or something. d2tmo, d2mtr seem to work.
Did a Factory reset & phone went to metro logo. Did a 2nd recovery reset before 1st one could finish & the phone seemed to go to an out-of-box state/first time setup. That's where I was able to enable superuser root, the box thing & backup?

Sorry I don't remember more detail at the moment. The Google Chrome backup seemed to help a lot for reinstalling rooted apps after 4.3 update w/ factory reset.
You say you think.....doesn't sound reassuring can you elaborate a bit more? I don't seem to understand what you are getting at if it works or not? I don't know if I should root my phone now or wait for 4.4.......

callidus_ex_de_latebros
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Have you heard of/tried the Morobo + Shuame method? Worked a treat for my HTC Wildfire, Motorola Defy, and my HP Slate 7.
Seriously worth a shot if you ask me. A link to the XDA thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092349