5,597,449 Members 31,036 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] [FREE] [2.1+]Ring My Droid - Remotely ring your phone to find it!

Tip us?

MrRamandeepBakshi
Old
(Last edited by MrRamandeepBakshi; 22nd March 2014 at 01:31 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Smile [APP] [FREE] [2.1+]Ring My Droid - Remotely ring your phone to find it!

-- Description --
Ever kept your phone on 'silent' mode and kept it somewhere you can't remember?
If your answer is yes, Ring My Droid is the app to solve your problems!
Ring My Droid application has an SMS-triggered alarm system. When you install the app, you are asked to set a 'Key Phrase'. Now, if at any time after that you ever forget where you kept your phone, just use another phone or get one of your friends to SMS your Key Phrase to your phone.
Once the phone receives the Key Phrase as a SMS message, it starts to ring even if it is kept of silent mode! After the it is just a matter of following the sound and finding your phone back.

-- Precautions --
By default the Key Phrase is set to - RingMyDroid. Change it to whatever you want and click the 'Set' button. It is highly recommended that you set a new Key Phrase.
Your Key Phrase is like your password. Keep it secret, otherwise people or some prankster friends may SMS you your Key Phrase and set off your alarm anytime!

-- Download --
Scan the QR-Code attached with this post to download Ring My Droid for FREE!

-- Going Open Source and a bet with a friend--
I am planning to release the source code of Ring My Droid and so that other interested developers can build on it or use it in their projects. I would be releasing the source code on May 1, 2014.
Now as I am not very good with marketing and practically don't have enough time to spend on marketing (as I am a full time student doing a Masters degree in Computer Applications), the app still has less than 1000 downloads (986 as of the time of writing this post). This is what makes a couple of friends think that if I release the source code, the download count would decrease further and they even bet me that Ring My Droid would never make it to the 5000 downloads figure.
So, I would like to urge people who download the app and use it that if you like it, please do rate and comment on Google Play and share the app with your friends and help me reach that figure and win the bet.
I would be releasing the source code on May 1, 2014 anyways, if I reach the figure or not!

PS - If anyone here has any knowledge about various Open-Source Licenses and their terms and conditions, please share it with me via PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qrcode.19921067.png
Views:	611
Size:	539 Bytes
ID:	2566163  

Mekanikz
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Nice idea. Will this work with the TextSecure app though?

MrRamandeepBakshi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanikz View Post
Nice idea. Will this work with the TextSecure app though?
I haven't tried TextSecure as of now, so I really cant comment on that.

Normally, Ring My Droid would automatically check if the incoming SMS is the 'Key Phrase'. If the text in the SMS matches with the set 'Key Phrase', then it will trigger an alarm. However, if the app that you mentioned encrypts the original SMS at the sender's end (obviously if the sender has the app installed) and if the SMS is received on the phone in an encrypted manner, then Ring My Droid would no be able to match it with the 'Key Phrase' as what your phone receives is the encrypted form of the 'Key Phrase' and the actual phrase that you set.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrRamandeepBakshi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]