Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,115 Members 49,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will the Kindle HDX eventually get a stable custom ROM?

Tip us?

henrypootel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Will the Kindle HDX eventually get a stable custom ROM?

I'm using a nexus 7 (2012) at the moment and am looking for an upgrade.
The things that annoy me about the nexus are the speed (very slow/laggy at times), and the screen size, which i feel is juts a little bit low.

i've been looking at the LG G Pad and the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, which seems like a very nice unit.

however, i have a lot of purchases in the Play store and i really like cyanogen/aokp etc..

so my question is, what do you think the chances are that in a month or 2 there will be a handful of stable custom ROMs for the HDX that will let me essentially run vanilla android on it without having to sacrifice disk space to having the stock OS installed 'as well'.

any one care to venture a guess? also, are there any other weirdnesses (besides the Fire OS) to the kindle that i might want to consider over the GPE LG G Pad?

spaghettiknight
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrypootel View Post
The things that annoy me about the nexus are the speed (very slow/laggy at times), and the screen size, which i feel is juts a little bit low.

i've been looking at the LG G Pad and the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, which seems like a very nice unit.

however, i have a lot of purchases in the Play store and i really like cyanogen/aokp etc..

so my question is, what do you think the chances are that in a month or 2 there will be a handful of stable custom ROMs for the HDX that will let me essentially run vanilla android on it without having to sacrifice disk space to having the stock OS installed 'as well'.

any one care to venture a guess? also, are there any other weirdnesses (besides the Fire OS) to the kindle that i might want to consider over the GPE LG G Pad?
Yes I believed that it is only a matter of time (at most 2 months, but don't hold me on this) we already have a semi stable Asop ROM, and multiple people have commented in that thread talking about releasing their ROMs in the rear furture. I am using the gapps update 1 ROM and it is practically stock, even with stock settings, keyboard, launcher ect. The only thing in don't like is kindle navbar, and status bar. But people are already talking about bringing this to the stock rom, also there is a xposed framework module for our device which will bring a lot of options In the future (Google exposed framework and what is for more info on that). So yes I would recomend this device also, if you care about amazon services there is a flashable zip that allows you to have google apps(gapps) and amazon services(I have not tested this, but I'm sure it works)

It also seems that the 7 inch has some more development at the moment but I think the 8.9 will have more in the future

Hope this helps, like if it did!
The Following User Says Thank You to spaghettiknight For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

henrypootel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks! that's very helpful.
I just found out one thing that makes me lean much more over to the G Pad side of the decision - it has an SD card slot! That trumps the snapdragon 800 for me...

darthscottydog27
Old
(Last edited by darthscottydog27; 3rd February 2014 at 07:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thanks! that's very helpful.
I just found out one thing that makes me lean much more over to the G Pad side of the decision - it has an SD card slot! That trumps the snapdragon 800 for me...
if you want to still have storage
get the the kindle for its price and then go to hypershop.com and spend $100 and get a iusbport it allows you to use any storage (thumb drives hard drive sdcards old ipods ect.) as a usb storage that you can access by wifi
then you are not stuck with sd only u will have more options

I myself use them with the thor os as a secondary operating system and besides the system settings being kindle I don't notice a difference I can access all my google play with out any problems

p.s the iusbport can be accessed with just about any device via the web
I use es file explorer with it set as a ftp server on all my androids and Iusbport has a app on apple for theres that I use
best video players ive found for them bsplayer (android) goodplayer (ipad) moliplay (both) based on video formate experences my vary but other apps tend to pick up the format slack

GSLEON3
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Go with the GPad, A stable rom may come, but kernels won't be for some time. Actually, I would wait to see what March & the MWC brings. The HDX is nice & does everything I want, but the Nexus 7 (2013) is my mod/dev toy. A few custom roms may even come, but development in a device like the HDX, which is based on an inferior fork of Android, will never garner as much community support as a developer device, regardless of how wonderful the hardware may be. So, the HDX a a choice of 2 to a half dozen, the GPad & the choice of maybe a dozen or two, or the Nexus 7 (2013) & hundreds of choices. Personally, I considered adding the GPad, but I really am impressed with the SD800/Adreno 330 & have also played with a SD805/Adreno 420 dev board & it is the beast. So, I am waiting to seee what March/April brings before deciding what toy to add to the collection. If you must have something NOW, well the 7" HDX is cheap, but the newest Nexus 7 has a ton more possibilities for little more, especially if you watch for deals or turn to Swappa.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6

Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology:

The Following User Says Thank You to GSLEON3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

henrypootel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for all the help eveyone!
I've gone with the gpad and, after using it for a few hours now, i love it! seems so much faster than my Note2, and blows the old nexus 7 out of the water!

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more

MultiROM Makes Its Way to the LG G2

Over the last few weeks, we’ve seen quite a fewflagship (and former flagship) devicesget to … more