XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] usb

Tip us?

karthikgoud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] usb

what is the difference between usb host and usb otg?

stamatis
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikgoud View Post
what is the difference between usb host and usb otg?
"Usb host mode" and "usb otg" are probably referring to the same thing, if this is what you are asking...
The Following User Says Thank You to stamatis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dr Goodvibes
Old
Thanks Meter 598
Storage USB OTG

stamatis is correct.

I have an XPERIA M (C1905) with root access and a LOCKED bootloader.

My testing has shown the XPERIA M supports USB OTG and USB power charging, but not both at the same time[citation needed].

I have tested the following:

External MicroUSB USB flash and SD card readers are supported directly attached to phone.
My testing has shown MHL external connections don't work in the XPERIA M with Android 4.1.2 at this time.
MicroUSB port doesn't support power and data at the same time, which is a bad indicator.
Sony DK10 Media Dock ONLY provides power. It can not provide USB data and power at the same time. Really means it doesn't work.
Aten 4 port USB switch is supported
Targus 7 port USB powered hub is supported
WD 320GB HDD is supported via a power USB hub
Logitech USB Unifying mouse supported (sans back key and context menu on mouse) M950,M325 and M905 tested
Logitech USB Unifying keyboard supported (Esc - Back and Alt-Menu - context menu) K800 and K400 keyboards tested
The supplied microUSB power on the XPERIA M is greater than an XPERIA S, as I can mounted USB flashdrives on the XPERIA M which give a power consumption error on the XPERIA S. Still can't mount a USB powered WD USB HDD directly to the phone. You need a powered hub for that.

- With the XPERIA M connected to an Aten 4 port USB switch it becomes one of four devices that can selectively use all supported USB devices connected in a desktop environment.
For me this feeds a Targus 7 port powered USB hub and a U2410 24" monitor with additional USB ports.
The SD/MMC card reader in the U2410 monitor is available too via the Aten USB switch too.

XPERIA M does seem to support higher powered USB 2.0 devices, but still draws the line before being able to directly support the likes of WDC USB 2.0 Hard Disk Drives.