Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,756 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dead pixel on new Nexus 7, worth replacing?

Tip us?

thenetvines
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Thumbs up [Q] Dead pixel on new Nexus 7, worth replacing?

Hello, I recently found a small dead pixel after using the device lightly for a few days. I've tried to fix it with apps, cleanning caches, reformatting, and even installing roms, but the dead pixel is everywhere solid, even on bootloader screen.

The problem is that I need to send it as a gift next week, and the warranty would probably take 2 weeks or more, so is it worth it?

It's tiny, but it's there, and I don't know if one dead pixel, means more over time...

Please advise

ezas
Old
(Last edited by ezas; 18th January 2014 at 09:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 296
None of those things will fix a bad pixel.

No you won't get more. And sometimes they 'fix' themselves with more use. You can use an app to flash the screen through different colors to 'exercise' it.

Is it an out and out dead pixel or a stuck (on one color) pixel? If you are not sure use a pixel tester from the store. Bad pixels are like light scratches, after a while you don't notice them. But for a gift I'd be disappointed as well.

If it's new can't you do a straight exchange?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Nexus 7 2013 - Mahdi/Elemental
Note 2 - Jett ROM 3.0/ Agni

Retired:
Nexus 7 2012 - Droid Charge - Samsung Fascinate - Galaxy Player 5.0 - Droid Charge
The Following User Says Thank You to ezas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kubasienki
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default I think it's not worth it.

Pices of replacement screens are teribly high.
The Following User Says Thank You to kubasienki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thenetvines
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezas View Post
None of those things will fix a bad pixel.

No you won't get more. And sometimes they 'fix' themselves with more use. You can use an app to flash the screen through different colors to 'exercise' it.

Is it an out and out dead pixel or a stuck (on one color) pixel? If you are not sure use a pixel tester from the store. Bad pixels are like light scratches, after a while you don't notice them. But for a gift I'd be disappointed as well.

If it's new can't you do a straight exchange?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hey! Good news, you were right man. I was just about to send it, but decided to use it more and more heavily, and those "flashing colors" apps as well (don't know how much that helped), and eventually, it got smaller, and smaller to the point where I can barely see it so tiny.

It was tiny before, but now it's almost invisible. It started out as a stuck green pixel, and it was everywhere in the same place. Even in the bootloader, Recovery, and after various rom reflashes.

Thanks for the tips!