XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

deleting safestrap 3.71?

Tip us?

alaskanman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default deleting safestrap 3.71?

So I decided I wanted to root my s4 mk2. Did a bunch of research, found out I can only root using saferoot. Alright, got it rooted, great. Found out I can only use safestrap in addition to saferoot. Okay, I didn't have a problem with that. But then I found out I can really only use like hyperdrive as a rom. So I tried downloading it, wouldnt download. Oh well, I decided I would wait until more roms comes out for my verizon s4 mk2 and I only had lie 2.5 gb space left. I looked up the thread to delete safestrap 3.71, which is the one I downloaded. It said to remove via apk file. This is where I got stumped... I only understand that the apk file is what android apps use. But how and where do I access these files? I got file manager, searched apk files, and deleted the one that said safestrap. I deleted the safestrap app afterwards. But my memory was still large. I found out safestrap is based in TWRP. Okay, so I went in my storage in the settings and deleted twrp which took up almost 4 gb. But I rebooted my s4, and it still boots to the safestrap screen. I'm nit sure what I'm missing and stuff. Btw, this was my first attempted root and stuff.

douger1957
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanman View Post
So I decided I wanted to root my s4 mk2. Did a bunch of research, found out I can only root using saferoot. Alright, got it rooted, great. Found out I can only use safestrap in addition to saferoot. Okay, I didn't have a problem with that. But then I found out I can really only use like hyperdrive as a rom. So I tried downloading it, wouldnt download. Oh well, I decided I would wait until more roms comes out for my verizon s4 mk2 and I only had lie 2.5 gb space left. I looked up the thread to delete safestrap 3.71, which is the one I downloaded. It said to remove via apk file. This is where I got stumped... I only understand that the apk file is what android apps use. But how and where do I access these files? I got file manager, searched apk files, and deleted the one that said safestrap. I deleted the safestrap app afterwards. But my memory was still large. I found out safestrap is based in TWRP. Okay, so I went in my storage in the settings and deleted twrp which took up almost 4 gb. But I rebooted my s4, and it still boots to the safestrap screen. I'm nit sure what I'm missing and stuff. Btw, this was my first attempted root and stuff.
So going into settings>application manager and trying to uninstall Safestrap didn't work?

I'm guessing that you'll have to reinstall Safestrap through a file manager and then uninstalling it properly, but that's just a guess. The dev for Safestrap is here quite often.

What I think you mostly deleted when you jettisoned TWRP is your backup files.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy 4 Hyperdrive ROM RLS 14 Safestrapped on MK2 Base

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1239

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You remove Safestrap like you delete any other application, using the Application Manager (Settings, more, Application manager).
Doing that will allow Safestrap to remove any slots and the recovery image.

Well, with the way you've taken a sledgehammer to your phone, it may require another sledgehammer to recover it.

Try re-installing Safestrap. Once that's done, use it to remove the Safestrap recovery.
Then, use App manager to remove it. Hopefully that'll get the storage back.

If not, flash a no-wipe ROM.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

douger1957
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
You remove Safestrap like you delete any other application, using the Application Manager (Settings, more, Application manager).
Doing that will allow Safestrap to remove any slots and the recovery image.

Well, with the way you've taken a sledgehammer to your phone, it may require another sledgehammer to recover it.

Try re-installing Safestrap. Once that's done, use it to remove the Safestrap recovery.
Then, use App manager to remove it. Hopefully that'll get the storage back.

If not, flash a no-wipe ROM.
Do you think he'd have to backup the files he might want to save and reformat his internal storage before he flashes the no wipe?

I'm asking only because I've installed Hyperdrive to the stock slot and have not created any other slots. I suspect I'll have to flash a no wipe if I have to return my phone to stock.

alaskanman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks guys! Reinstalling it and then uninstalling the recovery through the app itself helped! I'm not going to unroot it yet, but I'm just gonna wait until I find a rom that works with my build to install a recovery

douger1957
Old
(Last edited by douger1957; 9th February 2014 at 01:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Thanks guys! Reinstalling it and then uninstalling the recovery through the app itself helped! I'm not going to unroot it yet, but I'm just gonna wait until I find a rom that works with my build to install a recovery
I can only recommend Hyperdrive because that's the only one I've tried. The longer I play this game, the less I like flashing the ROM du jour. I can't say nothing but good about it.

I've got mine installed in the stock slot with no other slots partitioned. I've got just over 6 gigs left. If it gets tight, I've got a 64 gig SD card to move stuff over to.

alaskanman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah I was definitely willing to try hyperdrive! I was really wanting liquid smooth, until I found out that nothing if available fur ny build lol. I checked out hyperdrive instead, was getting ready to install it, but then I saw it was 1.6 gigs haha. My maximum download speed at my house is like 150 kb/s which is a problem. Plus we're throttled at 475 mb/day... I had to wait to try and download it when I got to my college the next day. For some reason, hyperdrive kept failing for me between 5-10% if the download so I just ditched trying to get it