Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Root Rezound Without SD Card?

OP boost4life17

3rd February 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Hello! Ok, this may sound stupid, but here goes.
I am trying to flash custom ROMs on my Rezound (bootloader unlocked) but I don't have an SD card for it (can't root or use any write ups for flashing a ROM).
This is my old phone (I currently used a Razr Maxx hd which is rooted and unlocked) - BUT I wanted to try flashing ROMs on my Rezound first so I don't mess it up on my current phone. Pretty much I want to use my Rezound to learn the process and if I mess it up, I will still have my current phone.
Any way! Can someone please give me a little bit of guidance on this? Do I even need to root in order to flash ROMs (I read that I can use ADB to flash ROMs instead of the SD card, but do I need root ?) If I do need root, how do I do this without an SD card? I'm cheap and don't want to buy one & I can't find the original SD that used to be in the phone.
Also, after I root/if I don't have to root, what are some guidelines on using ADB instead of SD card to flash ROMs?
I'm just terrified of flashing a ROM on my Maxx hd without first trying it on the Rezound since I can mess up without losing my daily-used cell phone!
And YES I am a NOOB!
I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
3rd February 2014, 02:29 PM   |  #2  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 600
 
1,914 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost4life17

Hello! Ok, this may sound stupid, but here goes.
I am trying to flash custom ROMs on my Rezound (bootloader unlocked) but I don't have an SD card for it (can't root or use any write ups for flashing a ROM).
This is my old phone (I currently used a Razr Maxx hd which is rooted and unlocked) - BUT I wanted to try flashing ROMs on my Rezound first so I don't mess it up on my current phone. Pretty much I want to use my Rezound to learn the process and if I mess it up, I will still have my current phone.
Any way! Can someone please give me a little bit of guidance on this? Do I even need to root in order to flash ROMs (I read that I can use ADB to flash ROMs instead of the SD card, but do I need root ?) If I do need root, how do I do this without an SD card? I'm cheap and don't want to buy one & I can't find the original SD that used to be in the phone.
Also, after I root/if I don't have to root, what are some guidelines on using ADB instead of SD card to flash ROMs?
I'm just terrified of flashing a ROM on my Maxx hd without first trying it on the Rezound since I can mess up without losing my daily-used cell phone!
And YES I am a NOOB!
I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Rooting should be easy enough, just put the SuperSUxxx.zip file on the internal storage, start TWRP/CWM and flash it.

As far as ROMing goes... pony up a few bucks and buy an SD card, you can get a 16GB card for around $10, or even less, shipped, from Amazon or Newegg. One of the main steps in flashing new ROMs for the Rezound is wiping the internal storage so a SD card of some kind is highly recommended.

I am not aware of away to flash roms via ADB/Fastboot only on the Rezound.
3rd February 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #3  
PhantasmRezound's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 461
 
790 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
There are fastboot commands for flashing ROMs and kernels directly from a computer too.

He could actually go with one of the all-in-one toolkits if he has a Windows PC, just have to point and click to do commands then after setting up files inside appropriate folders: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437371

Granted that makes learning commands for the other device a two step process, this baby step to see where and when the phone reacts to commands, plus ROM configuration afterwards. Take some of the anxiety away. Then try taking a look at the command scripts ran by the program directly and follow up with more online reference on commands. If lucky the other device forum may have a toolkit with automated scripts as well.
Last edited by PhantasmRezound; 3rd February 2014 at 04:12 PM.
3rd February 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Wink
Thank you guys!! I will grab an SD for it and start playing around! It doesn't seem as hard as I'd imagined to do this stuff since there's SO MANY write ups and simplified explanations for most of it! Thanks again! But by the way I am a she! And I do have windows but I think it'd be easiest and more similar to my RAZR if I got an SD card for the rezound.
Here goes nothing!
8th February 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #5  
Snuzzo's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,347
 
5,305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
External SD card has many benefits for the rezound. First one; s-off. Pretty sure you will need one to complete it. Second one; s-on ph98img flashing, the newer 2.28 hboot I am pretty sure removed the remote "fastboot boot" command.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuzzo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #6  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 600
 
1,914 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzzo

External SD card has many benefits for the rezound. First one; s-off. Pretty sure you will need one to complete it. Second one; s-on ph98img flashing, the newer 2.28 hboot I am pretty sure removed the remote "fastboot boot" command.

"fastboot boot" works fine in 2.28 Hboot, but only if you are unlocked (It doesn't seem to care if s-on or s-off).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th February 2014, 05:24 AM   |  #7  
Snuzzo's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,347
 
5,305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin

"fastboot boot" works fine in 2.28 Hboot, but only if you are unlocked (It doesn't seem to care if s-on or s-off).

Shouldnt have to unlock an s-off phone though. Patched hboots also allow zimage flashing. Wish i knew the procdedure to patch the latest for s-off users.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snuzzo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes