Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

T-Mobile speed issues

OP emailrob

5th January 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

78 posts
I've been using a Lumia 520 prior to my Moto G (US version). It appears both have the same AWS bands to take advantage of T Mobiles HSPA+ bands. However I've seen significantly slower rates on the Moto G than the 520. I tested a few times and am getting 4-8 mbps on the Moto G, but 12-15 mbps on the 520 using the same sim card with various tests.

I've also checked the APN settings (using the epc.tmobile.com version) and they are the same.

This is on the prepaid $30 a month scheme.

Is there anything else I'm missing in understanding the speed differences?

it is also showing in About/Phone as HSPA+ mobile network type.

TIA
Last edited by emailrob; 5th January 2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: edit
6th January 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #2  
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 458

1,345 posts
Donate to Me
More
@emailrob is the Lumia 520 a T-Mobile phone or an unlocked phone. It is possible that the speed problem is because the Moto G doesn't have all of the bands for HSPA+, just a few. Or maybe it was a heavy traffic day when you tested. My tests on T-Mobile have ranged from 2mbps to 19. Data always has been a temperamental child.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
6th January 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
man your lucky im stuck at .12 mb for speeds on tmobile and have no idea why it says im on hspa+ but it wont even load my apps at all -_-
6th January 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

78 posts
Thanks for the replies. The 520 was an ATT device here http://slickdeals.net/f/6273346-at-t...free-shipping?

I just tested at work and the Moto G is getting 1.83 mpbs! This is crazy. I thought the Moto G had all the T Mobile bands to take advantage of HSPA+ (as it says I'm connected to that all the time)?
6th January 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
thats what i thought to -_- i dont understand why other people get 8 to 10 mb for speeds and other get crappy speeds on same network. and i know for a fact i got good covareage in my area.
6th January 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

78 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff8

thats what i thought to -_- i dont understand why other people get 8 to 10 mb for speeds and other get crappy speeds on same network. and i know for a fact i got good covareage in my area.

Yes. I just can't understand how the bands are apparently the same on the 520 and the G, but the speeds are crazy different. So the bands CANNOT be the same. If I have to change phones again (to something like a nexus 5 or a Moto X) I'll have to do diligence again!
15th January 2014, 08:08 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

78 posts
Replying to my own post. Suffice to say now the phone has LTE under Tmo I'm pretty happy it was a painless transfer (moto x came with a sim card already), quick call to tmo and they transferred my $30 a month plan over.

16th January 2014, 10:41 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff8

You have to specify 3G as your preferred network ion Wireless Networks/Network mode. I went from never getting speeds above 1Mbps to 7Mbps everywhere.
9th February 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

78 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprangbrake

You have to specify 3G as your preferred network ion Wireless Networks/Network mode. I went from never getting speeds above 1Mbps to 7Mbps everywhere.

That didn't work. The only way I 'fixed' it was by using the Tmo version of the Moto X. Moto G, for me, never worked at the faster speeds.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread