Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,066 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile speed issues

Tip us?

emailrob
Old
(Last edited by emailrob; 5th January 2014 at 08:35 PM.) Reason: edit
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default T-Mobile speed issues

I've been using a Lumia 520 prior to my Moto G (US version). It appears both have the same AWS bands to take advantage of T Mobiles HSPA+ bands. However I've seen significantly slower rates on the Moto G than the 520. I tested a few times and am getting 4-8 mbps on the Moto G, but 12-15 mbps on the 520 using the same sim card with various tests.

I've also checked the APN settings (using the epc.tmobile.com version) and they are the same.

This is on the prepaid $30 a month scheme.

Is there anything else I'm missing in understanding the speed differences?

it is also showing in About/Phone as HSPA+ mobile network type.

TIA

Cooptx
Old
Thanks Meter 456

DONATE TO ME
@emailrob is the Lumia 520 a T-Mobile phone or an unlocked phone. It is possible that the speed problem is because the Moto G doesn't have all of the bands for HSPA+, just a few. Or maybe it was a heavy traffic day when you tested. My tests on T-Mobile have ranged from 2mbps to 19. Data always has been a temperamental child.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
Moto G Root Method

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

cliff8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
man your lucky im stuck at .12 mb for speeds on tmobile and have no idea why it says im on hspa+ but it wont even load my apps at all -_-

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks for the replies. The 520 was an ATT device here http://slickdeals.net/f/6273346-at-t...free-shipping?

I just tested at work and the Moto G is getting 1.83 mpbs! This is crazy. I thought the Moto G had all the T Mobile bands to take advantage of HSPA+ (as it says I'm connected to that all the time)?

cliff8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thats what i thought to -_- i dont understand why other people get 8 to 10 mb for speeds and other get crappy speeds on same network. and i know for a fact i got good covareage in my area.

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff8 View Post
thats what i thought to -_- i dont understand why other people get 8 to 10 mb for speeds and other get crappy speeds on same network. and i know for a fact i got good covareage in my area.
Yes. I just can't understand how the bands are apparently the same on the 520 and the G, but the speeds are crazy different. So the bands CANNOT be the same. If I have to change phones again (to something like a nexus 5 or a Moto X) I'll have to do diligence again!

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Replying to my own post. Suffice to say now the phone has LTE under Tmo I'm pretty happy it was a painless transfer (moto x came with a sim card already), quick call to tmo and they transferred my $30 a month plan over.

Sprangbrake
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff8 View Post
You have to specify 3G as your preferred network ion Wireless Networks/Network mode. I went from never getting speeds above 1Mbps to 7Mbps everywhere.

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprangbrake View Post
You have to specify 3G as your preferred network ion Wireless Networks/Network mode. I went from never getting speeds above 1Mbps to 7Mbps everywhere.
That didn't work. The only way I 'fixed' it was by using the Tmo version of the Moto X. Moto G, for me, never worked at the faster speeds.