Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 39,642 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touch screen sensitivity, shaking when holding something. (possible solution pg2)

Tip us?
 
clouds5
Old
#11  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350
Posts: 1,483
Join Date: Feb 2011
OK I think i have isolated the issue. I've been to a store today and compared with a note 3 that was on display.

I used the "show pointer location" debug in the developer options for analysis.

On my note 10.1 2014 even though the spen is docked it still registers pressure somehow. Shown as "prs" in the top bar that appears when you enable pointer location. The pressure using just my finger as input fluctuates between 0.00 and about 0.15 even without spen! Where it should be at a steady 1.00 without spen.
That is exactly how it works on the note 3 (and all other android devices without pressure support like my sgs3). If you use your finger it sticks to 1.00 and when you use the pen it scales between 0.00 and 1.00.

Now on our notes normal touch input with finger only registers as very low pressure (~0.15) and I'm pretty sure that causes the shaking.

And what I conclude from that is that it should be a simple software fix in the driver to correct that. Finger = 1.00 prs. Any way to let samsung know about this? Or maybe even a dev could try to fix that in a custom rom?
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III | Stock rooted
Tablet: Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Wifi | Stock rooted
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clouds5 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
marshwc
Old
#12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 29
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds5 View Post
OK I think i have isolated the issue. I've been to a store today and compared with a note 3 that was on display.

I used the "show pointer location" debug in the developer options for analysis.

On my note 10.1 2014 even though the spen is docked it still registers pressure somehow. Shown as "prs" in the top bar that appears when you enable pointer location. The pressure using just my finger as input fluctuates between 0.00 and about 0.15 even without spen! Where it should be at a steady 1.00 without spen.
That is exactly how it works on the note 3 (and all other android devices without pressure support like my sgs3). If you use your finger it sticks to 1.00 and when you use the pen it scales between 0.00 and 1.00.

Now on our notes normal touch input with finger only registers as very low pressure (~0.15) and I'm pretty sure that causes the shaking.

And what I conclude from that is that it should be a simple software fix in the driver to correct that. Finger = 1.00 prs. Any way to let samsung know about this? Or maybe even a dev could try to fix that in a custom rom?
Verified on my P605. Probably the same cause of the problems I see when playing Angry Birds...
 
reubenskelly1992
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 342
Join Date: Nov 2013
I've noticed that when I hold things down or. Put my finger on a Web page

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
haterbait
Old
#14  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 39
Join Date: Oct 2013
Good thinking. I'm in the process of sending my tablet in to Samsung for this reason. I have no clue how to fix this, but I'm glad someone is looking into this. Thanks! I think this issue is the same as the one we're having here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2491690
 
dt33
Old
#15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 285
Join Date: Apr 2010
I have this problem on mine SM-P605, notice on 1 days use and so far only with Chrome I notice this "shaking". Sometime after opened Chrome browser and top adress bar is shaking all the time. Even I dont hold the tab, the shaking stop if shut down Chrome and reopen it again. Thought it was Chrome browser issue and havent bother about it.
 
kkretch
Old
#16  
kkretch's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 409
Posts: 889
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: near Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds5 View Post
OK I think i have isolated the issue. I've been to a store today and compared with a note 3 that was on display.

I used the "show pointer location" debug in the developer options for analysis.

On my note 10.1 2014 even though the spen is docked it still registers pressure somehow. Shown as "prs" in the top bar that appears when you enable pointer location. The pressure using just my finger as input fluctuates between 0.00 and about 0.15 even without spen! Where it should be at a steady 1.00 without spen.
That is exactly how it works on the note 3 (and all other android devices without pressure support like my sgs3). If you use your finger it sticks to 1.00 and when you use the pen it scales between 0.00 and 1.00.

Now on our notes normal touch input with finger only registers as very low pressure (~0.15) and I'm pretty sure that causes the shaking.

And what I conclude from that is that it should be a simple software fix in the driver to correct that. Finger = 1.00 prs. Any way to let samsung know about this? Or maybe even a dev could try to fix that in a custom rom?
Not sure if that is the issue........

I have a GT-N8013 and a SM-P600, both units return the same numbers that your 2014 edition does but only my 2014 has the shake bug.

.
If I was helpful please press the thanks button

My Devices
32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition SM-P600ZKVXAR
16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZWYXAR
16GB Blackberry Playbook
64GB Blackberry Playbook - retired
8GB 1st Gen Kindle Fire - TWRP/AOKP Jellybean - retired
User Built PC - i5/2500K @ 4500khz - Windows 7 ultimate
 
clouds5
Old
#17  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350
Posts: 1,483
Join Date: Feb 2011
Yeah well at this point it's just a wild theory could also be something else that is causing the problem and not the prs thing. But I'm pretty sure it's the driver being too sensitive or not accurate enough with finger input.
But we'll have to wait and hope for samsung to fix it with an update i guess. I just hope they are aware of the problem...
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III | Stock rooted
Tablet: Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Wifi | Stock rooted
 
kkretch
Old
#18  
kkretch's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 409
Posts: 889
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: near Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds5 View Post
Yeah well at this point it's just a wild theory could also be something else that is causing the problem and not the prs thing. But I'm pretty sure it's the driver being too sensitive or not accurate enough with finger input.
But we'll have to wait and hope for samsung to fix it with an update i guess. I just hope they are aware of the problem...
I also think it is software and not a hardware issue.

.
If I was helpful please press the thanks button

My Devices
32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition SM-P600ZKVXAR
16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZWYXAR
16GB Blackberry Playbook
64GB Blackberry Playbook - retired
8GB 1st Gen Kindle Fire - TWRP/AOKP Jellybean - retired
User Built PC - i5/2500K @ 4500khz - Windows 7 ultimate
 
hmukarram
Old
#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default hardware problem

I think it's a hardware problem because I replaced it to another unit and it doesn't have the shaking problem now. Although there is a dead pixel now.
 
clouds5
Old
#20  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350
Posts: 1,483
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmukarram View Post
I think it's a hardware problem because I replaced it to another unit and it doesn't have the shaking problem now. Although there is a dead pixel now.
Same Firmware and everything? I know that the nexus 7 had similar issues and it was fixed via software update so I really hope Samsung will release a new firmware soon.
From all the information I've gathered so far I can't see how it could be a hardware issue. It's just too sensitive when you use your finger and the driver is buggy in other ways too(see multi-touch issue thread).
If not it should be covered by warranty anyway. But seeing how many people have the issue just here on xda (small sample size), that would be extremely bad quality assurance for such a flagship device.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III | Stock rooted
Tablet: Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Wifi | Stock rooted

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes