Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,049 Members 39,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need help updating hboot via RUU, S-Off, etc.

Tip us?

Rodrows
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Sign Need help updating hboot via RUU, S-Off, etc.

I'm using CM10 and I've been wanting to update my S4 to a KitKat rom for some time and now that some stable builds are starting to come out I decided it was a good time.

On my first try flashing a new rom I got an error message asking for a newer version of hboot (mine is 1.14.0002 and it wanted 2.15.0000), so I looked around and found out I needed a RUU to update that, but since finding one for my phone is pretty difficult I decided to S-Off it, because apparently you can use any RUU that way.

Obviously it's not working, that's why I'm posting this. I did the htcdev method to unlock the phone back when I installed CM10 and to get S-Off I followed the rumrunner method. No problems whatsoever so far. They start appearing as soon as I try to update the 2.15.0000 RUU I downloaded from this other tutorial (the HTC Europe one, since I live here).

Following all the steps in that page I read about needing to change the phone's SuperCID to make it compatible with the RUU. First I tried with the default SCID that my phone had (VODAP304) with no luck. Then after a bit of searching I tried changing it to HTC__001 which seemed to be the correct one for the european RUU, but the same thing happened: it gives an incompatibility error, the process stops, the phone bootloops and I have to do a TWRP restore (the back up is from this morning and I made it just before attempting this, so no data loss of any kind)

These are the numbers bootloader gives me, if they're of any help:
***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
VLE PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-VODAP304
HBOOT-1.14.0002
RADIO-1.08es.50.02.21
OpenDSP-v29.1.0.45.0622
eMMC-boot
Jun 11 2012, 14:36:28

What exactly am I missing here to update the hboot?

ka_55
Old
Thanks Meter 45
You don't need to install RUU, you need to flash a new firmware. Take a look at this thread.

Sent from my HTC One S

Rodrows
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_55 View Post
You don't need to install RUU, you need to flash a new firmware. Take a look at this thread.

Sent from my HTC One S
But isn't that for kernels? In several hours of research I haven't found one post about kernels for my issue
It does look similar to another method I've found recently that flashes the hboot through fastboot/recovery but users say it's much more risky

ka_55
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrows View Post
But isn't that for kernels? In several hours of research I haven't found one post about kernels for my issue
It does look similar to another method I've found recently that flashes the hboot through fastboot/recovery but users say it's much more risky
Yes it's about kernels and the problem with the new roms is nothing but the kernel. So firmware update is enough as a solution. I don't think it's dangerous if you follow the instructions correctly. But you should follow them word to word with your own risk

Sent from my HTC One S
Tags
europe, hboot, htc one s, ruu, s-off