Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 42,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

System update break root?!

Tip us?
 
Menardo
Old
#1  
Menardo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 336
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana

 
DONATE TO ME
Default System update break root?!

Ok was just curious if im updating from 4.3 to 4.4 and have phone s-off'd and rooted do i need to return to stock to take the update?! Will root and s-off survive the update?! thanks
 
BD619
Old
#2  
BD619's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7739
Posts: 8,087
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Xda-Dev,NV

 
DONATE TO ME
Why would you take the OTA if you are s-off?
\_(ツ)_/


Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint


Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Menardo
Old
#3  
Menardo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 336
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD619 View Post
Why would you take the OTA if you are s-off?
Can you not s-off after updating? I just bought the phone and coming from a Galaxy S4 im a little lost on HTC One... Or should i just flash the firmware from the bad boyz rom thread through twrp?
 
BD619
Old
#4  
BD619's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7739
Posts: 8,087
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Xda-Dev,NV

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo View Post
Can you not s-off after updating? I just bought the phone and coming from a Galaxy S4 im a little lost on HTC One... Or should i just flash the firmware from the bad boyz rom thread through twrp?
You might be able to s-off with firewater...but taking the OTA you will not loose s-off. I would just flash the firmware and a sense 4.4.2 rom if you flash the Full firmware.
If you flash the modified firmware you can flash any rom.
\_(ツ)_/


Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint


Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Menardo
Old
#5  
Menardo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 336
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD619 View Post
You might be able to s-off with firewater...but taking the OTA you will not loose s-off. I would just flash the firmware and a sense 4.4.2 rom if you flash the Full firmware.
If you flash the modified firmware you can flash any rom.
Alright thanks a million... Just making sure if i flash the FULL firmware only 4.4.2 roms can be flashed?
 
BD619
Old
#6  
BD619's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7739
Posts: 8,087
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Xda-Dev,NV

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo View Post
Alright thanks a million... Just making sure if i flash the FULL firmware only 4.4.2 roms can be flashed?
As far as I know only 4.4.2 sense roms can be flashed.
Others should work fine if the kernel was updated, as the 4.4.2 OTA came with a new kernel.
\_(ツ)_/


Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint


Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Menardo
Old
#7  
Menardo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 336
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD619 View Post
As far as I know only 4.4.2 sense roms can be flashed.
Others should work fine if the kernel was updated, as the 4.4.2 OTA came with a new kernel.
Appreciate it boss!!!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes