Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 38,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Host + Charging

Tip us?

crashprime
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] USB Host + Charging

Is anyone aware of a USB OTG cable that will allow devices to be plugged into the shield while also allowing the device to charge?

I have a OTG USB -> USB Hub -> USB Ethernet + Keyboard + Mouse + Controllers plugged in so that I can use the Shield as a console for my PC games on my TV @1080P/60.

Everything works perfect, but when you take up the micro USB slot with the OTG cable, you are running off battery with no way to keep the device charged. I get a reasonable amount of charge time (on a full charge I have never blown out the whole battery life while gaming), but it's a pain to swap the cable between charge and OTG when it does need some juice.

I've seen a gentleman by the name of Timur who came up with a custom kernel for the Nexus 7 that allows such functionality on that device.

Is there any solutions like this for the Shield, or is there any cables that will accomplish this without modification?

jjprichards
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Is it possible to plug a usb a male to usb micro b female and charge through that while connected to the hub?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjprichards View Post
Is it possible to plug a usb a male to usb micro b female and charge through that while connected to the hub?
Something like this plugged into the hub, then into the charger?
http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-female-to-...4#.UuAbB2Qo4sk

tangcla
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjprichards View Post

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Something like this plugged into the hub, then into the charger?
http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-female-to-...4#.UuAbB2Qo4sk
My investi-googling tells me that it won't work. It powers the USB device, but not the host.