5,594,653 Members 33,296 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Micro SD file format Venue 8 android

Tip us?

merlin11221
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
No I did not try ext3, was running late last night and had to work this am. Is rooting difficult? I would like to get this working before our ski trip in a couple weeks. Is it likley that I mess up the tablet rooting? Sorry but this is the first time I have needed to alter a mobile device for any reason...

Merlin

deltatux
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin11221 View Post
No I did not try ext3, was running late last night and had to work this am. Is rooting difficult? I would like to get this working before our ski trip in a couple weeks. Is it likley that I mess up the tablet rooting? Sorry but this is the first time I have needed to alter a mobile device for any reason...

Merlin
Unfortunately, there's no rooting methods released for this device, you'll have to wait.

deltatux
Google Nexus 4 16 GB (E960 R11 304K)
Slim ROM 4.4.2 4.4 (KVT49L)
Slim Kernel 2.7 (3.4.86)

ASUS Nexus 7 16 GB 1st Gen
Slim ROM 4.4.2 3.10 (KVT49L)
Slim Kernel 1.6+ (3.1.10)

merlin11221
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
Unfortunately, there's no rooting methods released for this device, you'll have to wait.

deltatux
Just a little update for everyone. I tried some more file formats once I got home.

NTFS, ExFat, ext3, and ext4 all say "blank SD card or unsupported file format". Then I get prompted to format in the Venue to Fat32.

Fat and ext2 both do nothing, can't even try to mount, and get no error message. It only shows a message when removed.

So I guess it is shrinking video files, waiting for root, or just playing them on the MOMO...

Thanks again for all the effort though! And please post if anyone finds a solution.

Merlin

deltatux
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin11221 View Post
Just a little update for everyone. I tried some more file formats once I got home.

NTFS, ExFat, ext3, and ext4 all say "blank SD card or unsupported file format". Then I get prompted to format in the Venue to Fat32.

Fat and ext2 both do nothing, can't even try to mount, and get no error message. It only shows a message when removed.

So I guess it is shrinking video files, waiting for root, or just playing them on the MOMO...

Thanks again for all the effort though! And please post if anyone finds a solution.

Merlin
Looking at the SlimROM thread for the original Nexus 7, it seems the microSD file system support comes down to kernel support. In order to properly support microSD format other than FAT32, someone needs to enable it on the kernel...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=484

deltatux
Google Nexus 4 16 GB (E960 R11 304K)
Slim ROM 4.4.2 4.4 (KVT49L)
Slim Kernel 2.7 (3.4.86)

ASUS Nexus 7 16 GB 1st Gen
Slim ROM 4.4.2 3.10 (KVT49L)
Slim Kernel 1.6+ (3.1.10)