[TUTS] Simple Theming/MOD (Changing Images in APK)

OP renzorampas

10th February 2014, 01:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Caloocan
Thanks Meter: 420

152 posts
Donate to Me
More
Basic & easy way to Theme your GT-i8552 by changing some images.

Requirements:
Samsung GT-i8552 (ROOT Required)
Computer
7zip - Link: http://www.7-zip.org/
Android Commander – Link: http://androidcommander.com/
ADB Insecure – Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1687590 (Download the attached file and not from Google Play) - Credits to this thread

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••••••••••••••
To begin, We need to Setup and Install our required Applications.

1. Install ADB Insecure to your GT-i8552.
After Install, open Adb Insecure in your GT-i8552, this will only setup once.
In ADBD Category, this options must be Checked.
Enabled insecure adbd (Checked)
Enable at boot (Checked)
Note: This app is to keep your GT-i8552 R/W in Android Commander.

2. Install Android Commander to your PC.
Why we use Android Commander?
We use this to transfer files from your PC to your Phone especially in the System Folder, this is safer because it will prevents your phone to avoid stop responding when changing anything in system files, especially “framework-res.apk”, and of course, after pasting anything to the system folder, you must change their permission before rebooting the phone.

3. Install 7zip
We will use this application to open APK files.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••••••••••••••
NOW!, Let’s get started
Our Example is to change the “WiFi Icon” in Settings.APK

APK File: Settings.APK
Image File: ic_settings_wireless.png
Size: 54x54

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Create a folder in Drive C: and name it with “THUNDER”, It should be C:\THUNDER (any name you want, I just like THUNDER)

2. Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable.
3. Open Android Commander
in the LEFT PANEL, go to C:\THUNDER\
in RIGHT PANEL, go to /system/app/
select Settings.apk from the right panel and click COPY (this will copy Settings.APK from your phone to C:\THUNDER\.

4. Minimize Android Explorer for later use, after this, open “My Computer” and go to C:\THUNDER\, you will see Settings.APK inside, right click the file and open this with 7zip.

5. 7zip application will open, then go to /res/drawable-hdpi and look for ic_settings_wireless.png, select it and drag it to C:\THUNDER\ folder.

6. After extracting ic_settings_wireless.png, you can now EDIT or REPLACE the image in any image applications that support PNG, I recommend Photoshop or Paint.NET, do not change the filename, do not change resolution because it will affects the size in your phone screen, do not change the type of image file, it should be PNG type.

7. After replacing or editing the image, you are now ready to bring this file to the APK, of course you will use the 7zip again and do it vice versa, after dragging it back to 7zip, it will prompt you that the file is existed, just overwrite it.

8. After dragging it back, you may now close 7zip and of course your Settings.APK was also change.

9. Go back to Android Commander and copy Settings.APK from C:\THUNDER\ to /system/app/

10. After copying, be sure to set the permission, right click Settings.APK from RIGHT PANEL and choose “Properties”

11. After clicking Properties, a popup dialog will be open, in there you can change permission, please follow the permission assigned in the image.

12. After changing permission, theming is done, you may close android commander and reboot your phone to make your changes to take effect. You can also reboot your phone in android commander by clicking the Power Off/Reset button in the menu.

13. EXPLORE & ENJOY !!!!

Clicking THANKS button is FREE
Last edited by renzorampas; 11th February 2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: some update
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to renzorampas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mod, theming
Previous Thread Next Thread