Default Zopo ZP998, So-called World’s First 8-core Mobile Phone: Not As Ambitious

Just one day after MediaTek raised the curtain of MTK6592, Zoppo,the Chinese phone maker, held a press conference flaunting how its new flagship, powered by the Octa-core chipset, would be a monster. Henceforth, it spent about 2 months hyping (perhaps optimize,too) the so-called world’s first 8-core smartphone everywhere.

Clearly Zoppo was trying the same hunger marketing tactics by Apple, or its Chinese mimicry Xiaomi. That did intrigued me somehow, but I was left cold when I held the very stuff, namely Zopo ZP998, in hand at last.

1. Design
iPhone 5/5s and HTC One have inscribed metallic surface and matte finish as major elements into the aesthetics of mobile phone design. The ZP998 seems looking for a breakthrough with its leathery plastic rear side, which, suggest more premium a feel than Samsung Galaxy S4’s cheesy case would do. That aside, the Zoppo handset’s overall design is not inspiring.

Its front is a round-cornered rectangle, measures 5.96 inches tall by 3 inches wide, and is covered with an all-over piece of glass slightly above the edges. In a word, the handset has the magnified face of iPhone 5, plus a few compulsory tweaks such as touch-sensitive physical buttons at the bottom in place of iPhone’s home button, a wider earpiece outlet at the top to fit the ZP998’s oversize, and a bigger front camera on the earpiece’s right instead of top.

The trim encircling Zopo ZP998’s chassis is in fact made from aluminum, though the finish and color deliver a feel not as metallic as iPhone’s. The volume rocker sits on the upper left edge, and the right edge houses the power and camera keys. Between the phone’s face and edges, there is a distinct seam that shows lesser delicate craftsmanship.
The camera starter button, also the physical shutter, serves as Zopo’s messenger to tell us how outstanding the camera is, but it is placed so far that I must adjust my grip every time I want to reach it. I’d rather start the camera by the app icon and use the virtual shutter. Similarly, it can be quite a stretch to touch the back button if you hold the phone in your left hand, the inherent drawback for oversize cell phones.
A cool work looks cool and reasonable. In this sense, Zopo did not put enough sweat and tears into its new hit.

2. Display

Zopo’s has proved excellent in displaying system by its last flagship Zopo C2. The new one’s screen is just as good with the same resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels and a bigger 5.5-inch size.
While the added 0.5 inch decreases the ZP998’s pixel density to 401 PPI from C2’s 441 PPI, I don’t find major degeneration in image quality. The screen still shows extremely vibrant colors and crispy details.
Being edge-to-edge, the display helps cut Zopo ZP998’s body size a lot and its border is proof against accidental contacts. Both features are favorable except in one case: if you hold the phone tight (you normally use some strength to grip the phone when it is vertical to the floor) in your left hand, the border of the display is sensitive to your extruded palm flesh when you can’t switch home screens to the right by siding the thumb of the same hand.

Quibbles aside, Zopo ZP998 is paired with a fantastic full HD screen.

3. Operating System:
While the Mainland-China version of Zopo ZP998 runs Yun OS 2.3, an overhauled Android 4.2 system with flat icons and translucent notifications pull-down menu, the overseas version comes with the pure Android 4.2.2. The latter offers all the language options born with Android and has Google Play Store onboard.

Switch of home screens and Launcher layouts are smooth, though not very pleasantly fast. Annoying but tolerable delays were found during shifts between widgets layouts and between pictures in gallery. And I was able to open and close apps again and again without any hiccup.