Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 42,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

.nomedia going to recycle bin

Tip us?

eqjunkie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default .nomedia going to recycle bin

Howdy Folks,

Not sure if this is specific to Note 3 or its just a general Android thing (as I never noticed it before on my previous droids, SGS1, 2, 3).

I have all my special "private movies" tagged as .nomedia and now when I navigate to the folder theyre stored in (via ES File Explorer and My Files) and click them I no longer get the "which app would you like to open this file" but rather they get put straight into the recycle bin and I have to go in there and Restore them out.

Its a massive annoyance and I cant figure out how to get it working back the way it was (without setting the extensions back to .avi / .mkv / mp4 etc).

Anyone have any ideas why ??

eqjunkie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqjunkie View Post
Howdy Folks,

Not sure if this is specific to Note 3 or its just a general Android thing (as I never noticed it before on my previous droids, SGS1, 2, 3).

I have all my special "private movies" tagged as .nomedia and now when I navigate to the folder theyre stored in (via ES File Explorer and My Files) and click them I no longer get the "which app would you like to open this file" but rather they get put straight into the recycle bin and I have to go in there and Restore them out.

Its a massive annoyance and I cant figure out how to get it working back the way it was (without setting the extensions back to .avi / .mkv / mp4 etc).

Anyone have any ideas why ??

Nobody knows ??

Silberpfeil3110
Old
Thanks Meter 90

DONATE TO ME
If you change the extension to nomedia, your phone won't recognise the file type and therefore can't open it.

The correct use of .nomedia is to put a blank text file called ".nomedia" in that folder where your private things are stored, that will tell the android media scanner to exclude files in this folder.

Just rename your files back to make them working again.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
Phone history:
D-Netz > Siemens MT50 > Nokia 3120 > Motorola RAZR V3 > Motorola RAZR V3i > Nokia N73 > Nokia 6280 > SonyEricsson P900i > HTC Touch (joining XDA-Devs with that phone) > SonyEricsson P910i > SonyEricsson W350i > Nokia 5610i XpressMusic > Nokia N73 > SonyEricsson W350i FalcoEdition > Sony Ericsson W715i > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10i > SonyEricsson Aino U1i > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > HTC Desire HD > Samsung Galaxy S II > Samsung Galaxy Note I > SGN II > Samsung Galaxy Note III