Ask a question

No registration required

Galaxy S III Boot Animation Sound Delay

OP BetaJ

7th February 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
First off, let me thank you for any help that I might get resolving this issue. Second, I have searched all over xda and cannot find this question about this particular phone, let alone an answer. Please be kind on me, I am not a complete noob, but I still have some learning to do as well. And forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have an At&t Samsung Galaxy S III running 4.1.1. It is rooted with custom recovery (TWRP) and stock rom. I have flashed Bootanimation4U.Samsungani.Only.zip, created a custom bootanimation.zip file, placed it in system/media and set the permissions with root explorer. The animation is working fine. I have also downloaded a sound.oog file that goes along with the boot animation. I renamed the sound.oog to PowerOn.oog, placed it in system/media/audio/ui, and set the permissions using root explorer and the sound plays just fine except there is a 3-4 second delay before the sound starts playing after the boot animation starts. This is driving me crazy. I know there was a similar issue with the Droid RAZR here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771089 . However, I have tried changing the desc.txt and that unfortunately didn't fix the problem on my phone. I cannot find any answer that has solved this issue. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have the same issue with a Sprint Galaxy Note II running 4.3. stock rom with TWRP recover. I really don't want to flash a custom rom but I will if you think it will fix this frustrating problem. Thank you
10th February 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I've done some more digging and found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1633685 that the audio driver configuration and policy implementation is located in /etc/tinyucm.conf . Based on this information and my own observation of the boot process, I think the sound delay is just a natural function of the boot process itself as the drivers take a few seconds to load after the boot animation starts. I could be way wrong. If anyone has any information about driver load priority, or anything that could help me solve this, I would be grateful for your help. I am wondering if there is any way to fix this by modifying the tinyucm.conf file? Probably not for what I am attempting, but if it can be done I would really like to know. I'm going to try to pull the file and see if I can make any sense of it. For now I have added a custom splash screen before the boot animation and sound starts. Since I am using android 4.1, I modified the desc.txt file to allow the boot animation to play until it finishes so it wouldn't get interrupted by the completion of the boot process. It is a lazy work around, but it works for now. As always, thanks for your help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread