Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 37,600 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom?

Tip us?

TheHighLife
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom?

Hey guys

I've got an unknown phone which I rooted using the Kingo application. Now I want to try and create my own custom rom using a couple guides on here. But to do this, I need the stock rom of my phones manufacturer, right? Well, I went ahead and emailed their support, and this is what they said:

'We do not give out the stock rom for your phone to our customers, if you want it repaired send it to blablablabla'

Now I told them that my phone isn't broken, and that i'm just asking to get the stock rom since they didn't put it online. My question is as following:

Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom since Android is open source? (based on Linux & some java coding right?) Also, if they are, are they also required to give me the stock roms of phones I don't own when i request them?

English is not my native language, so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
'It's the Jets and the Taylor Gang'

Curren$y & Wiz Khalifa

Critical Detox
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Hey guys

I've got an unknown phone which I rooted using the Kingo application. Now I want to try and create my own custom rom using a couple guides on here. But to do this, I need the stock rom of my phones manufacturer, right? Well, I went ahead and emailed their support, and this is what they said:

'We do not give out the stock rom for your phone to our customers, if you want it repaired send it to blablablabla'

Now I told them that my phone isn't broken, and that i'm just asking to get the stock rom since they didn't put it online. My question is as following:

Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom since Android is open source? (based on Linux & some java coding right?) Also, if they are, are they also required to give me the stock roms of phones I don't own when i request them?

They are required to give the source code at some point but not the actual rom.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Critical Detox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 11,108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighLife View Post
Hey guys

No Android is not open source. Only the kernel is. They are not required to give anything but the kernel source code and if they are in China then they won't give you anything at all.

Bat cave One

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheHighLife
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies guys, what can i do with the source code? Somehow 'compile' it to the stock rom?

'It's the Jets and the Taylor Gang'

Curren$y & Wiz Khalifa