Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,674 Members 38,149 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nabi 2 UK update

Tip us?

Fulhair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nabi 2 UK update

I have a Nabi 2 UK for my son and had GAPPS installed but stayed on the 1.9.37 version as the OAT would not work.
I now see that I can get the tablet up to 4.1 and get GAPPS as well but I seem to be defeated at the last step every turn but the 'dead' android on it's back.
I don't have the original back up to start from.
I've gone to the 1937 stock image and via TWRP, the OAT'ed to 2.1, but the second 2.3 update fails with the dead android
I've tried 2311 which also fails in the same way.
I've seen some conversations on these boards but the file outlined are often out of bandwith and I can't comment on the threads to ask for help.

So now I'm back to 1.9.37 but I also can't seem to reinstate GAPP using Nabi Labs tools I as it braks the nabi mode and the tablet won't work.
All in all this is turing out to be a massive waste of time. Any suggestions how I can salavge this?
Cheers
Fulhair

2girlzdad
Old
(Last edited by 2girlzdad; 10th February 2014 at 02:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulhair View Post
I have a Nabi 2 UK for my son and had GAPPS installed but stayed on the 1.9.37 version as the OAT would not work.
I now see that I can get the tablet up to 4.1 and get GAPPS as well but I seem to be defeated at the last step every turn but the 'dead' android on it's back.
I don't have the original back up to start from.
I've gone to the 1937 stock image and via TWRP, the OAT'ed to 2.1, but the second 2.3 update fails with the dead android
I've tried 2311 which also fails in the same way.
I've seen some conversations on these boards but the file outlined are often out of bandwith and I can't comment on the threads to ask for help.

So now I'm back to 1.9.37 but I also can't seem to reinstate GAPP using Nabi Labs tools I as it braks the nabi mode and the tablet won't work.
All in all this is turing out to be a massive waste of time. Any suggestions how I can salavge this?
Cheers
Fulhair
Hi.

I had a similar issue (US ROM though). I had dead Android guys, messages in TWRP that I didn't have an operating system installed and all kinds of other issues. I really thought that I had bricked the Nabi as I was up against a wall and nothing I was finding online was working.

I have posted this before elsewhere -- this is what I did to get out of it:

I think when I was installing the JB version of TWRP I also tried to change the screenlock image not realizing that the process had changed for JB. I had a complete mess with very similar if not identical issues as you.

What I did:

1. Make sure TWRP 2.6.3.0 for Jellybean is on the Nabi.

2. Download the stock 2.3.11 ROM from the Nabi wiki site and unzip it into a folder on your PC.

3. Next you need to copy the 4 recovery files from your PC to your SD card. I put the SD card into my PC and copied the files over putting them into a TWRP back up folder on the SD card. Now, in order for Jellybean TWRP to recognize the backup, I had to fool it into thinking I had a "good" existing Jellybean TWRP backup and rename the TWRP backup folders to something like this:

TWRP\BACKUPS\0f41000001000000\2014-01-24--09-54-07 JRO03C\

4. Put the SD card back into the Nabi and then boot into TWRP mode.

5. Do a restore from there.

It *should* install a clean fresh copy of Jellybean on the Nabi. It does take what seems like an eternity for it to get past the spinning circle with the NABI logo when it's loading for the first time so be patient.

You may need to alter some of this since you are in the UK though.. but the main suggestion is to put whatever copy of the ROM onto an SD card (remember to follow the correct directory format for either ICS or JB) and then restore via TWRP to get you running.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2girlzdad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fulhair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlzdad View Post
Hi.

I had a similar issue (US ROM though). I had dead Android guys, messages in TWRP that I didn't have an operating system installed and all kinds of other issues. I really thought that I had bricked the Nabi as I was up against a well and nothing I was finding online was working.

I have posted this before elsewhere -- this is what I did to get out of it:

I think when I was installing the JB version of TWRP I also tried to change the screenlock image not realizing that the process had changed for JB. I had a complete mess with very similar if not identical issues as you.

What I did:

1. Make sure TWRP 2.6.3.0 for Jellybean is on the Nabi.

2. Download the stock 2.3.11 ROM from the Nabi wiki site and unzip it into a folder on your PC.

3. Next you need to copy the 4 recovery files from your PC to your SD card. I put the SD card into my PC and copied the files over putting them into a TWRP back up folder on the SD card. Now, in order for Jellybean TWRP to recognize the backup, I had to fool it into thinking I had a "good" existing Jellybean TWRP backup and rename the TWRP backup folders to something like this:

TWRP\BACKUPS\0f41000001000000\2014-01-24--09-54-07 JRO03C\

4. Put the SD card back into the Nabi and then boot into TWRP mode.

5. Do a restore from there.

It *should* install a clean fresh copy of Jellybean on the Nabi. It does take what seems like an eternity for it to get past the spinning circle with the NABI logo when it's loading for the first time so be patient.

You may need to alter some of this since you are in the UK though.. but the main suggestion is to put whatever copy of the ROM onto an SD card (remember to follow the correct directory format for either ICS or JB) and then restore via TWRP to get you running.

Thanks for the outline. Sorry if I'm being a bit dim but how do I get the 2.6.3.0 TWRP onto it?
I've got the NaviLabs GUI and TWRP'd up to v 2.6.1.0 but need to get the Jelly Bean version.
I've tried the zip install with twrp-recovery-JBNV7AUS-263 but it just breaks TWRP and won't boot.

Thanks again.

aicjofs
Old
(Last edited by aicjofs; 9th February 2014 at 11:19 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 676
Quote:
Thanks for the outline. Sorry if I'm being a bit dim but how do I get the 2.6.3.0 TWRP onto it?
I've got the NaviLabs GUI and TWRP'd up to v 2.6.1.0 but need to get the Jelly Bean version.
I've tried the zip install with twrp-recovery-JBNV7AUS-263 but it just breaks TWRP and won't boot.

Thanks again.
Get whatever TWRP you want

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=76

Follow this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=49 to put that recovery in Nabilabgui except use

For XP

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\xxx\xxx\nabixxxx\2\recovery\new

or Vista/7/8

C:\Users\username\appdata\local\apps\2.0\xxx\xxx\n abixxx\2\recovery\new

The post is for the JR I think the above will be right for the Nabi2, I'm mobile so I can't check.
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks
The Following User Says Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fulhair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
Get whatever TWRP you want

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=76

Follow this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=49 to put that recovery in Nabilabgui except use

For XP

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\xxx\xxx\nabixxxx\2\recovery\new

or Vista/7/8

C:\Users\username\appdata\local\apps\2.0\xxx\xxx\n abixxx\2\recovery\new

The post is for the JR I think the above will be right for the Nabi2, I'm mobile so I can't check.
Good advice. Thanks for the TWRP instructions,
I can now get the TWRP v2.6.3.0 on, but only the ICS version will boot, The Jelly bean install won't bring up the TWRP screens. I've even tried updating to 2311 from the ICS version and then trying to update to the TWRP JB version with no joy.
Now I can't even get the nabi to connect to the usb in Nabi Lab GUI This is doing my head in!!!

aicjofs
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 676
Quote:
Good advice. Thanks for the TWRP instructions,
I can now get the TWRP v2.6.3.0 on, but only the ICS version will boot, The Jelly bean install won't bring up the TWRP screens. I've even tried updating to 2311 from the ICS version and then trying to update to the TWRP JB version with no joy.
Now I can't even get the nabi to connect to the usb in Nabi Lab GUI This is doing my head in!!!
If going to 2311 you need to update bootloader. That is in the addonfix zip. Then JB twrp should work.
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks
The Following User Says Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fulhair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
If going to 2311 you need to update bootloader. That is in the addonfix zip. Then JB twrp should work.
Okay, so I managed to get back to TWRP 2.6.3.0 under ICS. I then install the 2311 rom, which succeeds. As per instructions, before I reboot I go back and try to install the addon zip in TWRP.
But I get an error
'E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sdcard/addonzip'
Error flashing zip '/external_sdcard/addonzip'.

I'm not sure if the error is something with TWRP or the addon.zip.
One of the microsd I have won't show the addonzip and none of the other TWRP recovery roms..and yes I have checked the directory structure.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Fulhair
Old
(Last edited by Fulhair; 10th February 2014 at 04:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Okay, so I managed to get back to TWRP 2.6.3.0 under ICS. I then install the 2311 rom, which succeeds. As per instructions, before I reboot I go back and try to install the addon zip in TWRP.
But I get an error
'E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sdcard/addonzip'
Error flashing zip '/external_sdcard/addonzip'.

I'm not sure if the error is something with TWRP or the addon.zip.
One of the microsd I have won't show the addonzip and none of the other TWRP recovery roms..and yes I have checked the directory structure.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Okay, I abandoned the addon.zip and went back to 2.1.27 rom and OAT over to get to the last update which failed.
Then installed the OAT2.zip via TWRP and bingo! Now working on Jelly Bean with Google Play - okay it's now the US version but it works
I would caution that the zip install had to be installed on the internal SD not the external one.
But otherwise a BIG thank you to all for building the tools to let me do the update and for your support.
Cheers