5,605,250 Members 38,039 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flash Stock Sony Firmware on to carrier locked phone

Tip us?

davkav
Old
(Last edited by davkav; 10th February 2014 at 12:32 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flash Stock Sony Firmware on to carrier locked phone

Hey guys,

I have one or two questions I cant seem to find a definitive answer for.

I currently have a Z1 locked to my local O2 network. They still haven't release any updates past 4.2.2.

I was wondering would it be possible to flash a Sony Stock Factory Image so that future OTA updates would come from Sony and not through my carrier?

I was looking at this ROM here. So Root the phone, flash the ROM and then remove root.

Some might say why not root, unlock etc. but the to be honest I have done my fair share of trying different ROM's on different phones, throughout the years and I just love how stable the phone is and how good the battery life is that I just don't want to mess around with it too much.

Dave

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 492
You already messing around. That link which you posted is a method to root your phone and if you do not want to root it then is not the right thread. To update your phone to latest FW you have to flash the Unbranded Firmware .136 for your model from HERE

Use flashtool v0.9.13 to do that, wipe everything and you are done. This is for Locked Bootloader and you will also get next Updates when they comes.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

davkav
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
You already messing around. That link which you posted is a method to root your phone and if you do not want to root it then is not the right thread. To update your phone to latest FW you have to flash the Unbranded Firmware .136 for your model from HERE

Use flashtool v0.9.13 to do that, wipe everything and you are done. This is for Locked Bootloader and you will also get next Updates when they comes.
Its as simple as that? I might give it a shot this evening so when I get home.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by davkav View Post
Its as simple as that? I might give it a shot this evening so when I get home.
Yes, it's simple because you just want the latest Firmware only, No Root, No Unlocked Bootlader.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

davkav
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
One last question, if I flash the latest UK version which is .290 will I receive OTA or PC Companion updates as soon as .136 is out for the UK version?

harfot
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by davkav View Post
One last question, if I flash the latest UK version which is .290 will I receive OTA or PC Companion updates as soon as .136 is out for the UK version?
Yes
Best regards,
Harfot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Xperia Z1 (C6903)
Android ver.: 4.4.2
ROM..........: Sony stock 14.3.A.0.757 by [nut]
Kernel........: DooMKernel (v15) by DooMLoRD
Baseband..: 8974-AAAAANAZQ-10270045-43
Version......: 14.3.A.0.757

The Following User Says Thank You to harfot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

davkav
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfot View Post
Yes
Brilliant, Thanks!