No registration required

[Q] Factory Reset on an Encrypted Device Unsuccessful [now solved]

OP smiehle

10th February 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
More
A few little things were acting up on my phone, so I decided to reflash and start anew. The only big hiccup is that my phone was encrypted.

Through TWRP, I have performed a Factory Reset, which was unsuccessful. I then went through Format Data to remove the encryption:

Quote:

Format Data will wipe all of your apps, backups, pictures, videos, media, and removes encryption on internal storage. This cannot be undone. Press back to cancel. Type yes to continue.

This unfortunately did not do a thing, even after rebooting recovery before I flashed the rom. I am prompted for my encryption password during pre-boot. I've tried various backups that I still have (including the original from when I got my device); sometimes the password is accepted, other times I am prompted to continuously try again. When the password is accepted, I am stuck with a blank screen; after a few seconds, my phone vibrates once, then after a few seconds more, it vibrates multiple times, like when an app crashes. These restores do apply; the boot animations and Samsung logo change based on which backup I tried.

As long as I can get to a state where I can flash new roms and boot without the encryption prompt, I don't mind having to root again, losing internal data (which should've happened above), or having to reconfigure everything (that's half the fun).

adb and TWRP are still functional. I'm downloading the stock recovery and factory images to give them a try as well, though the download is crawling and it will be some time before I can test it.

Has anyone else successfully solved this?

Edit: Solved.Flashed all factory images, performed a factory reset, re-rooted, set up TWRP again, and got back to a current rom. For anyone else who runs into this in the future, I had to use the stock recovery, not CWM or TWRP, to successfully wipe my device.
Last edited by smiehle; 11th February 2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Solved it; added my steps for anyone who might find this thread in the future
The Following User Says Thank You to smiehle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread