No registration required

[Q] Rooting Nexus 10 in a blind mode

OP SMD_XA

7th February 2014, 06:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello guys, I need your assistance.

I have broken the screen of my Nexus 10 and decided to use it as a laptop with external display connected via HDMI and bluetooth mouse.

Everything is ok except the fact that Nexus 10 is laggy via HDMI. So I`m planning to reduce resolution of Nexus 10 using toggle_hdmi.sh script to offload the SOC and ease the pain. Unfortunately script requires device to be rooted. There are a lot of guides how to root Nexus 10 but all of them assume that user can interact with tablet via screen, which is broken in my case. The most scariest part of the rooting process is initial setup after bootloader unlocked when tablet requires wireless connection to be established.

So guys could you assist and help me by answering the questions:

1. After unlocking bootloader Nexus 10 will be starting as if it were the first time it boots up. Will HDMI output work during initial setup ? This is most important question. Please guys, let me know if you have tried.
2. Is it possible to install SuperSU remotely (from PC) ? Obviously I can not do much work during fastboot mode. If not, can anybody provide the exact instructions how to install it in my case (like wait about 15 seconds, then press volume down button twice, then .... and so on) ?

Currently I`m on:
Android: 4.4.2
Kernel: 3.4.39-g5b5c8df android-build@vpb31.mtv.corp.google.com
Build: KOT49H
10th February 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,922

6,073 posts
More
If your touch doesn't work you won't be able to unlock bootloader as you need to confirm from tablet, I do not know of a method to root your n10 without at least touching the screen a couple of times.
Maybe there is some utility or root kit that allows for this but as I don't use them I can't say for sure, you may just consider fixing the screen
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th February 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

If your touch doesn't work you won't be able to unlock bootloader as you need to confirm from tablet, I do not know of a method to root your n10 without at least touching the screen a couple of times.
Maybe there is some utility or root kit that allows for this but as I don't use them I can't say for sure, you may just consider fixing the screen
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I`d like to clarify the situation:

+ The touch screen (sensitive surface) is fully functional. I can perform touches, gestures, sweep and so on. Display matrix is broken but still I can see color lines which gives me overall idea about what is going on during the startup phase when HDMI mirroring is not activated. BTW, Nexus rooting toolkit does not require screen touch during bootloader unlock. One have to press 'volume up' and power button to confirm bootloader unlock.
+ Unlocking the bootloader is not the hardest task. I`m afraid I could stuck in bootlooping or initial tablet setup when tablet requires user name, county and so on.

Will tablet mirror the screen via HDMI during initial setup after bootloader unlocked? Can anybody check this out ?
Last edited by SMD_XA; 10th February 2014 at 05:57 PM.
10th February 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,922

6,073 posts
More
If digitizer is working than you should be good, most often I don't recommend a toolkit but maybe this situation calls for it, up to you
But I would do these things, Google search
Android factory images
And download and extract the latest for manta
Then download the latest twrp.img for manta as well
Now to bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
I believe there to be a conformation on the screen in the lower middle but if you say not than so be it
This will wipe partitions so now use fastboot to flash the factory images (and flash bootloader if you believe you have an older one)
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash data userdata.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
now flash twrp
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

And now you can boot into twrp and use adb sideload to flash su.zip or even better you could have skipped flashing the system,cache etc from fastboot if you just flash a custom ROM (maybe slimkat and gapps)
You will need to guess your navigation in twrp to get to advanced and adb sideload, but once pressed you do the rest in adb
Now it may be worth a shot to use droid explorer or android commander to screen cast your recovery, haven't tried on a n10 but this may work easily here

Once in to either a custom ROM or stock rooted you can skip all setup for now (find a YouTube video on setting up android on a n10 to guess about where to press next)
Once in os, you will need to get into settings and turn on developer options to turn on adb, then there will probably be a confirmation on tablet for this
With adb fully functioning you will have many options for screen cast and could just push the app you need with adb so you wouldn't need to attempt to setup market without a screen
If this isn't all too clear just reask, writing quickly as I just have a short break between classes now
Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread