[Q] SD CARD Partion

Tip us?

sum1one
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] SD CARD Partion

Good morning all !!!!

I have done an ample amount of reading and I am still confused by the topic a little bit. And the post I came across were rather old. I just bought a 32G micro SD card for my galaxy s 4g running (wicked rom 9.1). This rom finally has the ability to move apps to SD. My question is, is it really necessary to partition your SD card for any reason??? What are the benefits? I still do not get he concept. I can only find the ways to do it. but not the reason.

sum1one
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
*BUMP*

so.... I still did a bunch of reading, and did a SD card wipe attempted the 2nd partition and using link2sd and seems that the 2nd partition is not being recognized? can someone point me in the right direction?

LordZed400
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Partitioning the SD card!

Actually, partitioning gives you the benefit of using space in your SD Card to install apps or use app data, instead of cramming it all up in the phones' internal memory. In other words, the Second Partition acts as the internal memory of the phone. So creating a 1 GB partition for a device with low internal memory allows the user to install more apps and doesn't let the internal memory decrease.

Link2SD can only accept partition with the proper scripts, i.e if the SD card has been partitioned with Ext2 then Link2SD must also be given the command for creating scripts as Ext2.
It is usually recommended to partition SD as Ext2 or Ext3 and create scripts on Link2SD as the same.
Hope it helped