Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,079 Members 54,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashed stock rom, now no network?

Tip us?

Kevind_444
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Flashed stock rom, now no network?

Hi there, new to the forums posting but I read here constantly. I have an sm-900w8 note from Telus in Canada. I was running a custom rom before and decided I wanted to go back to stock before the Kitkat release. Anyway, I flashed the rom from sammobile.com that was for my phone (the link said it was for telus and the file even ends in TLS). So I flash it using odin and everything is perfect, the phone reboots and odin is finished. After that I decided I wanted to clear all my data and apps off the phone as well so I did a factory reset. The next time I turn the phone on everything is working (wifi gps ect) but I can't get on the network and it says I don't have a valid SIM. Also I notice the app packages from telus are not the correct ones and one of them is labelled Bell. So I am guessing the site has the bell firmware for telus as well? This doesn't matter to me but I do need my network running. Do you think it would just be a modem problem? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated guys!

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevind_444 View Post
Hi there, new to the forums posting but I read here constantly. I have an sm-900w8 note from Telus in Canada. I was running a custom rom before and decided I wanted to go back to stock before the Kitkat release. Anyway, I flashed the rom from sammobile.com that was for my phone (the link said it was for telus and the file even ends in TLS). So I flash it using odin and everything is perfect, the phone reboots and odin is finished. After that I decided I wanted to clear all my data and apps off the phone as well so I did a factory reset. The next time I turn the phone on everything is working (wifi gps ect) but I can't get on the network and it says I don't have a valid SIM. Also I notice the app packages from telus are not the correct ones and one of them is labelled Bell. So I am guessing the site has the bell firmware for telus as well? This doesn't matter to me but I do need my network running. Do you think it would just be a modem problem? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated guys!
The first and most important question: Do you have a backup of your EFS folder?

If so, you'll be happy. If not, prepare for the worst case scenario.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2] Stock N900UBUDND1 APR 17, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNC1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

TABLET: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Stock

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13
The Following User Says Thank You to donalgodon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,415

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Seems you have installed a carrier FW on your device and it has SIM LOCKED it. try flashing another.

EDIT: @donalgodon - it's only really EFS when it boot loops and shows Android process not responding etc
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Seems you have installed a carrier FW on your device and it has SIM LOCKED it. try flashing another.

EDIT: @donalgodon - it's only really EFS when it boot loops and shows Android process not responding etc
Well, that's not exactly accurate. The phone can boot with a corrupted EFS, but you will get no network access (and no IMEI number.)

It's happened to me, so I know it's possible. It's a common symptom of the OP's issues on Samsung devices.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2] Stock N900UBUDND1 APR 17, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNC1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

TABLET: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Stock

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

Kevind_444
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post

Yeah I am sure I'm not in dire straights yet and lucily I have my backup phone to use for now. I am wondering though, sammobile is the most legit source for stock firmware around, do you guys have any suggestions? Or can I possibly even try just flashing a new modem through odin? (I have never done this but seems easy enough)

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,415

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
Well, that's not exactly accurate. The phone can boot with a corrupted EFS, but you will get no network access (and no IMEI number.)

It's happened to me, so I know it's possible. It's a common symptom of the OP's issues on Samsung devices.
True, however, OP states that it was Telus FW that was downloaded and flashed...but it's showing BELL.settings, So the probability of it being EFS is low, it's sim locked the device via the BELL firmware more than likely. Reflashing the correct or unbranded firmware will indeed fix it

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Yeah I am sure I'm not in dire straights yet and lucily I have my backup phone to use for now. I am wondering though, sammobile is the most legit source for stock firmware around, do you guys have any suggestions? Or can I possibly even try just flashing a new modem through odin? (I have never done this but seems easy enough)
Well Sammobile isn't immune to mistakes, but it's rare it happens, they're genuine enough.. You could try the modem, first thing I'd do is test the back up and see if it's the downloaded ROM that has cause the issue.

And yes, you can flash the modem via Odin.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

Kevind_444
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey guys... update :

Used #*272 and changed csc from bell to Telus. Fixed instantly!

Thanks for your help guys.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

hey_joe
Old
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Hey guys... update :

Used #*272 and changed csc from bell to Telus. Fixed instantly!

Thanks for your help guys.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app
I thought this doesn't work in changing csc code. What's the full numbers you have to input, is it #*272*IMEI# ?