Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 50,942 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Black Screen Issue

Tip us?

gordonfink
Old
(Last edited by gordonfink; 10th February 2014 at 03:20 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [SOLVED] Black Screen Issue

Hi. I am not sure this is the BSOD problem that others have had.

I bought a second hand i747. It came with 4.3. It will work fine for a few minutes when first turned on, then the screen will go dark. The menu and back buttons stay lit, and the touchscreen still works, the LCD just cuts off.

If I hit the power button, it sleeps the phone. When I hit again, the screen will come on, but only for about 5 seconds, then it's black again. Everything works, just black screen.

Is it possible for it to overheat or something? It doesn't feel hot at all, but if I turn it off and leave it for awhile, it will again work for about 2-3 minutes, then only about 5 seconds at a time again.

I swapped batteries, and it's the same. The battery had pink on it. I opened it up, and none of the other stickers showed water exposure, and the board itself was clean.

It has stock 4.3, and is not rooted.

I did go to phone settings and turned off the "darken screen during calls" checkbox.

I am wondering if the proximity sensor heats up and shuts the screen off. Grasping at straws I suppose.

Any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks

theramsey3
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Perhaps a bad capacitor in the digitizer/lcd assembly? My TV had an issue with a bad capacitor that would cause the screen to blank out after a few minutes???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

gordonfink
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I'll try swapping boards in it later, and maybe at least narrow down if it's the board or the screen assembly. I have an extra proximity sensor I could swap, but it doesn't seem like it's that to me.

thanks, will post more after the board swap

gordonfink
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Update: I switched boards (different carriers), and I could not replicate the problem in either phone. I had hoped that would show that either the board or the LCD assembly was bad, but I didn't learn anything useful either way.

I put the boards back in their respective bodies. It still happens now, but not as often. It also appears to be totally random. I did switch batteries in the problem phone, and it doesn't seem as bad. I will try another battery switch and see if that helps it more.

When the screen goes dark, the menu and back buttons are lit. When it went out last night, I could see that there was still some faint background light that I can't see in the day. I pulled up Youtube and did a video, and when the screen went dark, I could still see movement, but couldn't make anything out. So, the phone is still going in the background.

If I push the power button, it sleeps, then push it again, and it wakes up just fine. Sometimes I have to do that 4 or 5 times for the screen to stay on. Sometimes it goes dark after 10 minutes of use, sometimes a half hour, sometimes just a few.

Any help is appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to gordonfink For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gordonfink
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well, right before throwing the phone into the wall, I noticed a partially removed liquid exposure indicator. I pulled the phone apart to check the motherboard.

In the process of taking it apart, I forgot to take out the SD card. In so doing, it pulled the sim/sd card module off the motherboard. Low and behold, there was a very light corrosive glaze in a few spots under the module.

So, I got out the 99% IPA, and a toothbrush, and cleaned the whole entire board. Since then, it seems to be working fine.

I don't know exactly what part getting cleaned fixed it, because I just cleaned the whole board.

Anyways, maybe that'll help someone with inexplicable issues downstream.

laughingT
Old
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for following up with how you fixed the problem. In retrospect, water damage makes sense.

I dropped a Captivate into an ice chest full of melted water last year. I immediately pulled it out and the phone was mostly okay for a while but then the microphone didn't seem to work so well and occasionally the right third of the screen wouldn't respond to touch until I cycled the screen on and off. The water damage sticker and phone interior showed no signs of water.

I will probably sell the old captivate but with full diclosure about the history. Would have been nice if the seller had done the same for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
SGH-I747 (AT&T Galaxy S III, August 2013 build date),
Firmware: CM 10.2.1-d2att, with stock 4.3 modem: I747UCUEMJB.

gordonfink
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks, I should have thought of it sooner, but it didn't seem to have any signs of water damage otherwise.

I ordered the 99% IPA online, because I couldn't find any locally. It works wonders with previously wet boards. You might be able to bring it back.