XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CWM and TWRP on Google Play Edition Moto G

Tip us?

insanespain
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
Look, the thread gives instructions on how to turn a standard Moto G into GPE. Then after doing that process, you flash the CWM made for GPE, and then you root it. GPE is GPE, there isn't a special GPE (apart from maybe being signed) for the standard Moto G, they are all the same.
Jesus, this is clear as mud. I wish someone would confirm this would work on a REAL GPE phone.

theoneofgod
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanespain View Post
Jesus, this is clear as mud. I wish someone would confirm this would work on a REAL GPE phone.
Why don't you do us all a favour and try it yourself.
Current Devices:
Moto G 16GB
Huawei Y300 (Black)
Alcatel OT-983 (Black) [Dead]
Nokia 2630
Xperia Play R800i (Black) [Dead]
Nexus 7 (16GB) [Returned]

erikivy
Old
(Last edited by erikivy; 10th February 2014 at 04:21 PM.) Reason: Added functional CWM
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Which superboot zip did you use? I'm trying it and can't get it to do anything. Phone just hangs at a blank screen when I run the superboot bat file. And yes my bootloader is unlocked.
Mine did the same. I then went to the play store and installed SuperSU, allowed it to update itself and all my apps requiring root then worked perfectly.

Also, if you are still looking for a functional recovery for your GPE, the attached one works fine for me. The dates are borked, but that's no big deal.
Attached Files
File Type: img CWM6046.img - [Click for QR Code] (7.67 MB, 16 views)

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Because as of now, the way i understand it is that we can't use a version of CWM built for the standard moto g on our GPE devices. Everything in that thread you linked to, pertains to a STANDARD moto g. And even though they are the same hardware, there are some small differences that are causing issues with recoveries. Hence the entire point of this thread.
Any CWM releases that fail to boot on the GPE are broken and will also fail on any non-GPE G with 4.4.2 bootloaders.

Common problems, whether non-GPE with 4.4.2 bootloaders or GPE are:
1) Most 4.4 source-built recoveries fail to boot with "fastboot boot", but will work fine if flashed to the recovery partition
2) Repacks that are compatible with "fastboot boot" are too big to flash into the recovery partition - an example being the repack I posted in a1pha's thread. That particular repack is, for the most part, pretty terribad, but it's enough to allow you to flash SuperSU to root your device.
3) People new to Moto (including myself) forget that volup selects an entry in thebootloader menu and power just forces a normal boot no matter what is selected, leading to them thinking that their recovery is busted (this happened to both myself and Dees_Troy)

I have confirmed that Dees_Troy was able to "fastboot boot" the TWRP image I posted in a1pha's thread, and was also able to flash and run a source-built TWRP that I sent to him (built from integrating dhacker's device trees and kernel into an omni configuration). e.g. his GPE is not behaving any differently, at all, from my non-GPE with 4.4.2 bootloaders.

Main delay has been that until someone was able to gain root, they couldn't gain a backup of the stock recovery for the GPe, and those people were nervous about flashing an unknown recovery to their recovery partition without a backup. The issues with "fastboot boot" resulted in a big delay.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

insanespain
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
Why don't you do us all a favour and try it yourself.
I said screw it and used that tool to install CWM and it did work and I was able to flash superuser.zip and get root working on my stock GPE. FINALLY. Someone really needs to make a specific thread for rooting and recovery on a stock GPE device to avoid all of this confusion and thread hunting.