Google Play Newsstand 3.3 Brings Material Design Makeover

In a clear break from the previous practice of delivering nearly weekly Google … more

App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

Upgrade from MDK??

8th February 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

141 posts
Currently on Jelly Beans 7 with MDK and using TWRP recovery on my Verizon S4. I've been using this for so long without much desire to update..

Starting to get the urge to update again.

What am I missing staying on mdk 4.2.2?

And if I do decide to upgrade, is TWRP still the recovery of choice?

What's my upgrade path from here? Flash back to stock mdk and take OTA, or move directly to a rooted 4.3 ROM?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
8th February 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

104 posts
Do not take an ota. You have the most desirable build #

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
8th February 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,552

1,910 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1

Currently on Jelly Beans 7 with MDK and using TWRP recovery on my Verizon S4. I've been using this for so long without much desire to update..

What's my upgrade path from here? Flash back to stock mdk and take OTA, or move directly to a rooted 4.3 ROM?

I agree. I wouldn't take the OTA. There are 4.3 and 4.4 based ROMs that you can flash. Once you upgrade, you'll be stuck on whatever build Samsung issues (right now, that's 4.3).
8th February 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 102

140 posts
More
Quote:

You should just flash a 4.3 ROM. Search the android development thread. There's no need to loose your unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
9th February 2014, 02:03 AM   |  #5  
Flag Holmdel
Thanks Meter: 22

184 posts
More
Quote:

Just flash a 4.3 ROM like Hyperdrive RLS13... You will be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo2212

You should just flash a 4.3 ROM. Search the android development thread. There's no need to loose your unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MDK doesn't have an unlocked bootloader... They just have an exploit that allows a workaround.
10th February 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #6  
Flag Lakeside, AZ
Thanks Meter: 281

1,516 posts
More
I agree with everyone above. Don't take the OTA. Since you have MDK you also have a custom recovery and can flash many ROMs. There are many flavors on 4.3 and 4.4 available currently. Read about them, the available features, and such. Then decide what you want.
10th February 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #7  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,388

3,242 posts
More
OP: Should I upgrade from MDK??
XDA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fyar4wJ3-Y
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 09:54 AM   |  #8  
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,674

3,500 posts
Donate to Me
More
We know the bootloader isn't actually unlicked on mdk.... I think that's just lamans terms so people know what they have lol. Seriously no offense to the op at all.... Its just amazing how some people are running custom recoveries and ROMs on MDK s4's and then think of taking ota's

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
10th February 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

20 posts
Just in case OP is confused I want to clarify that MDK is the bootloader. You want to preserve that because it allows the installation of custom recoveries. This is separate from the baseband which may also be labeled MDK. You can always update your Radio baseband without losing root, however you would not want to do this with an OTA. You would want to download this from xda as a flashable zip.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread