Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 48,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SGH-T889 Metro PCS sim not working

Tip us?

jdc3dart
Old
(Last edited by jdc3dart; 8th February 2014 at 02:26 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] SGH-T889 Metro PCS sim not working

Hello,

Today I bought a Note 2 on Craigslist. Since it was from TMobile I though it was only a matter of putting my sim card in the phone and it would work, I was wrong. The person that I bought the phone from gave me an unlock code that he got straight from T-Mobile, however when i used my sim card the phone didn't ask me for the code, so I assumed it was already unlocked.

I called Metro PCS to replace my current phone (LG optimus 9) with the Note 2, they tried using the IMEI number and they told me that there was a problem, that they couldn't activate the phone, and that I had to go to a T-Mobile store. I went to the store, they checked the IMEI and they say it was fine, the guy also told me that the unlock codes are only valid for 72 hours and the person who sold me the phone requested the code on 01/17/14 which means the code its no longer valid.

After that I tried calling Metro to get the phone activated, it didn't work...

I thought that maybe the phone was still locked so I did a downgrade to 4.1.1 - UVALJ1 (the phone was rooted and it had a 4.3 custom rom) and unlocked the phone using the method of that "secret" menu. I tried using the Metro sim card, no luck. At this point I dont know what else to do, a T-Mobile sim card works fine, I haven't tried with another carrier, however I've been using my Metro sim card in my L9 with no problem, so I don't see why it shouldn't work with the Note 2.

So my question is if anybody has tried using the Note 2 on metro, specifically a T-Mobile one, and if so, how did you make it work?

I am pretty new to all of this rooting and android stuff, but I have done as much research as possible before asking, this is my last resource so hopefully someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

jdc3dart
Old
(Last edited by jdc3dart; 11th February 2014 at 03:54 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Update: After trying multiple times to activate the phone on Metro PCS it turns out the phone appears on their database as it hasnt been paid in full and theres an unpaid equipment installment balance, that is only on Metro PCS database. I went to T-Mobile and everything was fine on their system, no blacklisted, no unpaid balances, no nothing so I activated the phone with them. Now hopefully the guy who I bought the phone from doesnt decide to report the phone as stolen or lost just to be an ahole.

Im on android 4.1.1 and I want to upgrade but my phone its telling me that I cant upgrade because my phone was modified. I want to upgrade to 4.3 but I dont know if I lost root when I downgraded to 4.1.1, how can I check if im still rooted and what rom do you guys recommend flashing? Thanks in advance

-- Thread can be closed, already rooted, upgraded and de-bloated.