XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I Install TMobile OS on a Verizon Note 3

Tip us?

raginmonkey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tablet [Q] Can I Install TMobile OS on a Verizon Note 3

I have a brand new Verizon Galaxy note 3 but would like to turn it into a full TMobile phone with TMobile radios and software. Is this possible to do and if so, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to go about doing this?

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
If it's a Developer Edition, then yes. If it's a retail Verizon, then no.

raginmonkey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era View Post
If it's a Developer Edition, then yes. If it's a retail Verizon, then no.
How can i find out if i have a developer edition or a retail edition? I know that I can put a tmobile sim card in it and it will work on global settings, but I basically want to get the branding changed from verizon to tmobile and have the radio set to tmobile rather than Verizon.

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginmonkey View Post
How can i find out if i have a developer edition or a retail edition? I know that I can put a tmobile sim card in it and it will work on global settings, but I basically want to get the branding changed from verizon to tmobile and have the radio set to tmobile rather than Verizon.
If you bought from Verizon, then it's a retail. If from Samsung directly, the it's a Developer Edition. Another way to confirm is to remove the back cover and battery. If it's a DE then it's marked under the battery.

raginmonkey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era View Post
If you bought from Verizon, then it's a retail. If from Samsung directly, the it's a Developer Edition. Another way to confirm is to remove the back cover and battery. If it's a DE then it's marked under the battery.
Under the cover it has the model number and then the letters UD behind it. I didn't buy from Verizon, bought from Bestbuy, but I dont think that I have a developer version. Is there any way that I could change it to a developer edition? What locks the phone so that it has to be stuck on verizon and is there some way to change this? I am really ready to get this phone over to tmobile and get away from Verizon to be perfectly honest. If I try to put a Tmo RUU on it, will it put it into bootloop? Or will it just black screen it? I dont like being locked to a company honestly, and Tmo has better coverage with better towers than Verizon.

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginmonkey View Post
Under the cover it has the model number and then the letters UD behind it. I didn't buy from Verizon, bought from Bestbuy, but I dont think that I have a developer version. Is there any way that I could change it to a developer edition? What locks the phone so that it has to be stuck on verizon and is there some way to change this? I am really ready to get this phone over to tmobile and get away from Verizon to be perfectly honest. If I try to put a Tmo RUU on it, will it put it into bootloop? Or will it just black screen it? I dont like being locked to a company honestly, and Tmo has better coverage with better towers than Verizon.
No, you cannot change it to a DE. You need to sell it and buy a T-Mobile version if that's what you want. Try swappa.com

newuser134
Old
(Last edited by newuser134; 30th December 2013 at 02:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 77
You don't necessarily need to change the phone to have T-Mobile "software". Even the retail version is already sim unlocked and can handle being on the T-Mobile network. Search the "Development" section of this forum to figure out how to root your vzw Note 3, do so at your own risk, if you don't think you're able to do it, then don't do it, if it gets bricked, it's your own fault. Then go to this thread ( VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte (band 4) ).

Root is not necessarily required if you're OK with having hspa+ only and don't want 4G lte, and don't mind the annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning in the notification bar, but if you want full T-Mobile service, your phone is capable of it if it is rooted. Note that you'll have to be in an area with t-mobile hspa+ service refarmed to 1900 mhz to get it, if it's on their original AWS band (1700 mhz) in your area, you won't get it, you'll get either 4G lte if you root your phone and unlock lte band 4, or you'll just get EDGE/gprs if you don't root. If you're in a big city, chances are it is in a refarmed area.

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to newuser134 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser134 View Post
You don't necessarily need to change the phone to have T-Mobile "software". Even the retail version is already sim unlocked and can handle being on the T-Mobile network. Search the "Development" section of this forum to figure out how to root your vzw Note 3, do so at your own risk, if you don't think you're able to do it, then don't do it, if it gets bricked, it's your own fault. Then go to this thread ( VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte (band 4) ).

Root is not necessarily required if you're OK with having hspa+ only and don't want 4G lte, and don't mind the annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning in the notification bar, but if you want full T-Mobile service, your phone is capable of it if it is rooted. Note that you'll have to be in an area with t-mobile hspa+ service refarmed to 1900 mhz to get it, if it's on their original AWS band (1700 mhz) in your area, you won't get it, you'll get either 4G lte if you root your phone and unlock lte band 4, or you'll just get EDGE/gprs if you don't root. If you're in a big city, chances are it is in a refarmed area.

Hope that helps.
Very interesting info. Thanks for posting.

silow
Old
Thanks Meter 59
You don't need to root to enable band 4 lte. The latest firmware MJE enables it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

aggiepil
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default no need to root

You don't need to root. LTE works on both verizon and tmobile using this phone. Just switch modes from gsm to lte depending on what coverage your area has

Tags
galaxy note 3, ruu, samsung, t mobile, verizon