[Q] Help rooting an unusual VS980 and solve battery not charging

OP Mr. Dildo

11th February 2014, 02:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hi all.
I got my hands on an LG G2 from verizon which used to be a display model, the problem is it won't charge beyond 38%, it displays a message about the charger not being compatible. So far I've used several chargers with no results
I'd like to know if rooting it and flashing a custom rom would get rid of this message and allow it to charge beyond that cap.
Soon I'll have the official charger anyway.

The second problem I found is that this phone has a different software version than a normal G2, in the end it has a "_DU" so ioroot will not root it as it will not recognize the software version name. This weird software version seems to be for the purpose of downloading an enabling a product showcase animation for using it on display at verizon stores, this animation is downloaded automatically after every factory reset, so it's very annoying, but it can be uninstalled nevertheless. My guess is this "DU" stands for display unit or something similar.

What I'm thinking could solve this problem is flashing an official firmware in download mode (to get rid of the _DU) and then try to root it in the normal way. Later I pretend to install cyanogenmod to see if the charging problem is gone.

Do you guys think this will work? I'm worried this prompt is not related to the rom, but the kernel itself, so uninstalling the stock rom would not work at all. Also, I don't know if it is possible to flash an official firmware just to get rid of the one with de "DU" in the end. I have very little experience with this device in particular.

Otherwise the phone is fully functional in every aspect, so I think this software version is indeed only meant to load the showcase animation. The current Sofware version it has says exactly "VS98011A_DU"

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Mr. Dildo; 11th February 2014 at 03:44 AM. Reason: corrected some info and added more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread